Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Buy repro or not?

Article about: Im somewhat of a purist. I dont collect repros. I collect a variety of items so when I get a fake, I learn from it and go back to the drawing board on that item before I try again. In the me

?

Default Re: Buy repro or not?

Im somewhat of a purist. I dont collect repros. I collect a variety of items so when I get a fake, I learn from it and go back to the drawing board on that item before I try again. In the meantime I will continue to collect other items Im more familiar and comfortable with. I refuse to be intimidated by fakers and embarist by other collectors when I get ripped off! I have enjoyed this forum and the knowledge of others. The only exception I will make is lets say I get a lid thats good but has been repainted or altered in some way. The lid is still part of history. Anyway I tend to ramble sometimes. Lee

What to do with a chiniese copy of a chiniese copy of a german mauser shoulderstock?
    Get the drift ;o)

Quote by Redgemak View Post
    What to do with a chiniese copy of a chiniese copy of a german mauser shoulderstock?
    Get the drift ;o)
    It depends which part of China it comes from.

NEVER EVER BUY A REPO.When you do you encourage the counterfiters.

G'day All

The only time I will knowingly buy a repro is when I have an original of that item, I'd then get the repro for use as I have recently done with my tan water winter jacket

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    it depends on the repro you are buying. I have a Janke-made Waffen SS officers visor cap, and it is extremely well made. I could never afford a genuine one, so this is the next best thing. As for 'repro' combat helmets, don't confuse repro helmets with re-worked genuine items. I see nothing wrong with a good shell that has a replacement liner and chinstrap. It's not the same as owning the crap which is coming out of China. I would say to Ewan have a go at stripping and re-painting your helmet to your own taste, there are plenty of reference books out there to work from. If you don't like the end-result, strip it and try again - you can hardly damage it can you?

Good one Harry !

I think there is nothing wrong in restoring original helmet shells with original parts if you can.............
    not hiding a fake one under the paint, but just making a good shell look
    the way it is supposed to !

Ditto, Rene !

If you are going to use it for re-enacting, or whatever, buy a repro and save the original
    from wear or damage...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by operaman View Post
    NEVER EVER BUY A REPO.When you do you encourage the counterfiters.
    Counterfieters don't need any encouragement. And some people can only own a repro because they can't afford the real thing. I see those reproduction Focke-Wulf 190's sold well. They look like the real thing in the air - even if they do have a Russian-made engine. Still - it's cheaper than owning and flying the real thing I suppose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2