Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can relics be hazardous to your health?

Article about: Definately hazardous, cleaning my cabinet the other week and one of my Mk II British helmets fell of the top shelf and brained me, had cross eyes for a while and splitting headache, should h

Default Can relics be hazardous to your health?

Hi, a few weeks a go, i went to military antique shop i had found in lisbon.
    I spent there a couple of hours because there was so much to see, that i totally lost track of time.
    In the middle of a pile of caps, there was an extremely rare portuguese legion cap, when i removed it, a great cloud of dust came upon me.
    From there on i was sneezing and scratching my self and had a huge headache.
    Next morning i was in bed with a fever.
    After a week of recovery, the doctor told me the source had been bacterial.
    From now on im going to handle relics a lot more carefully, with gloves and washing my hands very well and a lot more.
    I recomend you guys to be carefull with handling relics, we never know where they have been or what happened to them.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Default Re: Can relics be hazardous to your health?

Same thing happened to me at work. I was cataloguing an iraqi bag, and got sand in my eyes which then got infected. Had to take a week off.
    Friend of mine on archaeological dig in belgium and unbeknown had got minor tear gas from WW1 ordnance. Yes it was a proper dig, yes he's qualified.

?

thats true..i bought a bunch of german flares some time back and one was leaking and the gas from it made me very sick,i did not know it for a month later but it was it for sure.

I've often thought the same thing. I handle a lot of relics with gloves and put most in cases. I don't deal with any live ordnance, as that can def be dangerous.

Quote by pammy View Post
    thats true..i bought a bunch of german flares some time back and one was leaking and the gas from it made me very sick,i did not know it for a month later but it was it for sure.
    Must have been a secret weapon since there was never any "gas" flares.

Never been sick from relics,but got shrapnel when I was younger a few time.so many stories about getting hurt looking and finding relics.good times.

Ive learned that old gas mask can be a risk to ware with the asbestos filters.

True about the masks ez1969, apparently even the masks without asbestos filters can be dangerous due to the activated carbon filter breaking down over the years into a powder which can be inhaled also.

-Joshua

?

Trink vodka and noone sickness will attack you
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Trink vodka and noone sickness will attack you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast