Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Caveat Emptor! Don't assume a dealer is all knowing.

Article about: Good morning gents. I am posting this here because I can't see any other section in which it fits but I think it illustrates a point of which all collectors need reminding from time to time.

Default Caveat Emptor! Don't assume a dealer is all knowing.

Good morning gents.

I am posting this here because I can't see any other section in which it fits but I think it illustrates a point of which all collectors need reminding from time to time.

Just back from holiday I was browsing the web to get back into the collectors "mindset" when I found a website with an item listed in the political and police section of WWII Third Reich militaria and described thus;

Police Dog ID Tag

This rare dog tag was stamped from solid brass with a substantial curve and holes on either side so it could be affixed to the dog's collar. It measures 2.25" x 1" inches (56mm x 28mm) with "Erster Deutscher Polizeihund" (First German Police Hound) across the top and "Verein (P.H.V.) Sitz Dulsburg" (Society (P.H.V.) Seat Dulsburg) across the bottom in raised text. The dog's "Police Hound Number" "P.H.Nr. 3357" stamped into the center panel.

Polizei Hund Verein.tag.obv.jpg

Sadly, the description is quite misleading.

This is not a police dog ID tag but a membership tag for what was a kind of sports association and the title of the association should read;

Erster Deutscher Polizei-Hunde-Verein (Sitz: Duisburg)

ie. First German Police Dog Club (Duisburg) , Sitz does mean seat but in this context indicates the location and it is Duisburg not Dulsburg! To be really picky "hund" should, in this case be interpreted as dog rather than hound.

The tag therefore is not miltary nor is it police per se but relates to the club which has its membership concerned with police dogs.

It is of course German but it is definately not WWII or even Third Reich as the club only had this title from 1926 - 27. It continued with title variations and I think it may still exist today and there are many PHV in Germany. However, my point is that the dealer has (probably innocently) listed this incorrectly hence the title of this thread.

So, just because he is a dealer with a brightly coloured website one should still know what one is buying and not assume that dealer means expert (Expert; Ex = has been. Spurt = drip under pressure - sorry that only works in spoken English!!)

"Caveat Emptor"

Happy browsing!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You are assuming that dealers don't always really know what they are selling - and sell the item as something other than what it really is. But on several occasions I have notified dealers that an item they are selling is either a fake, or not what they think it is. But still the items have been offered as per the description. 'Battleflag Militaria' have on offer a 1917 dated SMLE which is supposedly regimentally marked to the Essex Yeomanry. It is certainly stamped 'EY,' but that stands for 'Emergency Use Only.' I have twice emailed the dealer about this - and the last time I sent him a scan of the page out of Skennerton's bible on the Lee Enfield. He ignored that as well. So what are we to think of dealers who do this?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You are assuming that dealers don't always really know what they are selling - and sell the item as something other than what it really is. But on several occasions I have notified dealers that an item they are selling is either a fake, or not what they think it is. But still the items have been offered as per the description. 'Battleflag Militaria' have on offer a 1917 dated SMLE which is supposedly regimentally marked to the Essex Yeomanry. It is certainly stamped 'EY,' but that stands for 'Emergency Use Only.' I have twice emailed the dealer about this - and the last time I sent him a scan of the page out of Skennerton's bible on the Lee Enfield. He ignored that as well. So what are we to think of dealers who do this?
    Thanks Harry,

I agree with you entirely about dealers being "liberal" with descriptions. I make no assumptions but allow the benefit of the doubt in this case. I didn't name the dealer either because of that and that the item is marked sold in any case.

My point was only to suggest that all of us collectors whether novice or experienced should remind ouselves from time to time that "all that glitters is not gold" especially when the "glitter" is injected by a less than accurate description honestly or not.

It is simply a matter of making sure one knows the subject matter sufficiently well to make informed judgements. "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware!)

As for dealers known to be less than willing to correct errors or who are deliberately dishonest then we should share such information within the hobby without reservation so that anyone can look in fora such as this and read the evidence without prejudice.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Another problem is ourselves to a certain extent. How often have you seen something being offered at an absolute bargain price by a dealer? Common sense tells you that it isn't right... Then maybe you might start thinking... 'But what if it IS right?' And before you know where you are, you've bought a load of junk and convinced yourself you've got a bargain! We've all done it at some time or another, but who of you will admit to it?