Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

A Christmas school play with a difference: the 1914 truce

Article about: Hi Guys, my Grandson's school Nativity play this year was one with a real difference. Instead of the more traditional theme, it was based upon the 1914 Christmas truce. This idea was nothing

Default A Christmas school play with a difference: the 1914 truce

Hi Guys, my Grandson's school Nativity play this year was one with a real difference. Instead of the more traditional theme, it was based upon the 1914 Christmas truce.

This idea was nothing to do with me before anyone says! It was written by a local Veteran.

The play was fantastic and was really well presented. A lot of thought had gone into it together with a lot of hard work from the kids. The props were great.

My Grandson, Connor, was Joseph. He was due to play the Innkeeper. But the little lad who was due to play Joseph was naughty at school and got demoted

I have enclosed a scan taken from the local newspaper. If you click on the scan it will enlarge to read.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: A Christmas school play with a difference: the 1914 truce

Interesting Play Ade. That's great Connor was there at the right time to get the role..

Regards,

Joel

?

Ade that's great , nice to see young Connor is getting started in the Militaria world at a young age
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Ade that is great.You must be very proud. I'm surprised that some nancy didn't complain that they didn't want kids and guns in the same place at the same time. Gary

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

The guns part was no problem But we could not take pictures of the kids in the play as some parents had not given permission for photos. But the school video taped it and a CD will be for sale. Go figure?

The Vets who were there put on a small display with some kit and some helmets. There was also a collection in aid of the lads wounded in Iraq and Afganistan.

Connor is heir to all my collection. He loves it all. I have not brainwashed him....

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade Conner is a lucky lad. Gary

Hi Ade,
    What a great idea for the play it teaches the children the history as well give them a good time. I but they were full of questions about the truce, they should bring back history to the class room
    other wise it will be lost for all time.
    dave.