Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civil War era buttons

Article about: Hi everyone, My friend and I have been detecting around an abandoned town this past summer, and finally have recovered something military related. Most of the time we pull out farm items. Th

Default Civil War era buttons

Hi everyone,

My friend and I have been detecting around an abandoned town this past summer, and finally have recovered something military related. Most of the time we pull out farm items. These were found in the house's dump pile beside where the barn stood. The first button with the seal is rather small, so I'm assuming t was for a cufflink. The second is a coat button for the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, probably form the civil war era or a little later. The rest look to be regular coat buttons, a couple of which have patterns on them. We happen to have a map of the land from the turn of the century which will give me the family name at least. I'll post that later on once I have it scanned. The other pictures show the area beside this, with some heavy iron pieces that appear to be a bit newer - possibly for repairing wagons/farm equipment, or maybe even an early vehicle(the area remained sparsely populated until around the 1910s). We are going to head back up to the spot this coming weekend weather permitting. Hope you guys like them!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: Civil War era buttons

Great Civil War relic buttons.
    The dirt there must be very acidic.

Little bits of History in your hands!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very nice Civil War buttons. Looks like a beautiful area to MD with
    lots of potential for more finds.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys! Yeah, there is still quite a bit of land to cover. Don't know how long the weather will hold out, though.