Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Civility

Article about: I agree with Suka f, living in the same town as he, we have a certain kind of humor foreigners do not understand and take it offencive. But let's all be fair, we are all on this forum to lea

Default Civility

Hi all, I have been a member of this forum for about a year now I guess. Over the last month or so I have noticed a distinct shift in the atmosphere, and in my mind, not for the better. There are several very knowledgeable people on the forum, and as for me, when they speak, I tend to sit up and listen. I have been collecting since I was 8, and have been serious in the hunt for the last 25 years. I have been lucky enough to score a few nice pieces over that time, but these guys forget more in a week than I will ever know. When we post a picture of a piece and are told that it is no good, it shouldn't be taken as a personal attack, just listen to what is said, digest it, debate it if there are reasonable grounds to do so, and learn. I would like to see the focus of the discussions to return to the helmets. Let's try to follow the recommendations of the senior members of the forum, which means posting decent pictures, and engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about the subject. Just my take of situation. Cheers, Jim G.

?

Default Re: Civility

Amen

Nicely said Jim. Most of us are here to learn and for the most part the knowledge on this site is impressive. When certain people say something I'll take it to the bank......and learn from it. John

and I might add------------
    When someone takes the time to dig into their personal files,
    or search through old threads to answer a question for you,
    Thank them.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi all, I have been a member of this forum for about a year now I guess. Over the last month or so I have noticed a distinct shift in the atmosphere, and in my mind, not for the better. There are several very knowledgeable people on the forum, and as for me, when they speak, I tend to sit up and listen. I have been collecting since I was 8, and have been serious in the hunt for the last 25 years. I have been lucky enough to score a few nice pieces over that time, but these guys forget more in a week than I will ever know. When we post a picture of a piece and are told that it is no good, it shouldn't be taken as a personal attack, just listen to what is said, digest it, debate it if there are reasonable grounds to do so, and learn. I would like to see the focus of the discussions to return to the helmets. Let's try to follow the recommendations of the senior members of the forum, which means posting decent pictures, and engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about the subject. Just my take of situation. Cheers, Jim G.
    Jim,
    Well put! Nothing is gained by being thin skinned and taking offense to advice given by men and women who are extremely knowledable in their specific areas. Everyday is a learning experience and the best way to learn is to listen to those who have walked the walk. There are members in this forum that have extensive knowledge and if you throw a question out someone will be able to answer it. One of the reasons I enjoy this group is because they are not out to take cheap shots at each other as you find on some of the other forums. Thanks for bringing this up, we need to be reminded on occasion as to our place in life and how to be civil to others.
    Terry

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    and I might add------------
    When someone takes the time to dig into their personal files,
    or search through old threads to answer a question for you,
    Thank them.
    I definitely second that,I ignore people who can`t be bothered to say thankyou.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I do agree totaly.
    But it is not always in
    being thin skinned and taking offense
    Some times posts are red in a different way then they where ment to be red.
    I for one are an example. English isn't my first language, so some sentence translated to French or Flemish could be interpreted in a different way.
    Even for folks speaking the same language, some words can have a different meaning or be misunderstood.
    Even our culture is different in a way.The way some things are said or adressed to can be very different in meaning. The sence of humor is different...etc
    That is the probleme with the internet, when speaking face to face to one another , the mimic can help to understand what is said or how it is ment.
    So if I might have offenced anyone here , let me appologise and start all over.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I have only been on the forum for a few months and I love it .I have had the chance to make friends because of the forum.some of the threads sometimes go little to far but I think it is in good spirits I hope.

I agree. I have learned more since I found this place, than just wandering around on ebay & some other sites, if I am wrong, I read what the other person says, then I think about it, but I don't shoot of at the mouth just because I was wrong about something, or just plain didn't know. I am grateful for what I have learned here , than to just get into an arguement that I would probably be wrong about anyway. so for all who have helped me understand something I knew nothing about . A very grateful THANK YOU.

best regards
    Marty

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    A very grateful THANK YOU.

best regards
    Marty
    The same goes for me!
    I have learned a lot and things have been showed here I didn't even know the existence of.
    I seem to remember I did opend a treath to thank any person who might have helped one in one or the other way, but I never saw it being used anymore....
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast