Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A close shave!

Article about: I work in the beautiful and ancient city of York. This week the mighty river Ouse that runs through the city flooded really badly due to heavy rains. The hotel I manage is in the bottom left

Default A close shave!

I work in the beautiful and ancient city of York. This week the mighty river Ouse that runs through the city flooded really badly due to heavy rains.

The hotel I manage is in the bottom left of the picture and as you can see the river is coming up the road ! It came withinin 6 feet !! As you can imagine I was getting hot under the collar

Phew !

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: A close shave!

Was there a slight panic to empty the car park Nick?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Just a bit Adrian Had to revert to the crisis plan !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nick, you could have added "in room pool" to your list of ammenities.

Hi Nick,
    Is that the Hilton that looks on to the tower? If so, I stayed there last winter. I live up in Morpeth where the river Wansbeck burst it's banks (again) with a similar devastating outcome. Looks like it was a very close shave for you, I think the clean-up bill for your hotel would have been extremely costly!
    Best regards,
    Chris.

I love floods, used to get them up here but flood alleviation has somewhat fixed it. makes for some awesome photos

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Nick, you could have added "in room pool" to your list of ammenities.
    Why didnt I think of that !

I always wanted a water feature but not like this!

Nick

?

I always think of all the antiques that are being ruined, when i hear of fires and flood etc.

Quote by radidas View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Is that the Hilton that looks on to the tower? If so, I stayed there last winter. I live up in Morpeth where the river Wansbeck burst it's banks (again) with a similar devastating outcome. Looks like it was a very close shave for you, I think the clean-up bill for your hotel would have been extremely costly!
    Best regards,
    Chris.
    The very same Chris ! I hope you enjoyed your stay! If not dont say anything

Nick

Every room a water bed suite....could have worked out quite well for advertising...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."