Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Colditz story

Article about: I've just watched the Colditz story on TV and then looked it up on IMDB, the website states that the film/movie was actually partly fimed at Colditz, would the DDR government have allowed th

Default The Colditz story

I've just watched the Colditz story on TV and then looked it up on IMDB, the website states that the film/movie was actually partly fimed at Colditz, would the DDR government have allowed this?
    I remember reading somewhere about the filming of funeral in Berlin, the scenes set in east Berlin had to be shot in the western sectors, because the East authorities would not allow fiming in the eastern sector!...

Default Re: The Colditz story

Having watched the start of it this afternoon before we had to go out, Lez and I were both convinced it was shot on location: if you recall we visited Colditz back in October. The courtyard was just too accurate to be a set.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Having watched the start of it this afternoon before we had to go out, Lez and I were both convinced it was shot on location: if you recall we visited Colditz back in October. The courtyard was just too accurate to be a set.

Cheers, Ade.
    That's interesting Ade, i'm really surprised the East German government would have let a western film crew into the DDR.

I think the date has a lot to do with it. As relationships between East & West deteriorated in the 1960's onwards I doubt it would have happended then.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I think you'r right Ade, Funeral in Berlin was filmed in 1966, the cold war at one of it's coldest points.

Great film and its date of production in the mid 50's is probably earlier enough to pre date the start of the very cold war in 1961.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The East Germans would not have had a problem with a film that was about the Nazi era with the Fascists as the bad guys but a film about espionage in the (then) contemporary world would be a rather different matter...

You hit the nail right on the head there Lithgow!...

I watched the 70s TV Colditz religiously when it was repeated here in the 80s late night-a brilliant cast and well written.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I watched the 70s TV Colditz religiously when it was repeated here in the 80s late night-a brilliant cast and well written.
    Yup i enjoyed that series, it was repeated here about 18 months ago on one of the cable channels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast