Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Collecting in the 1950s + 1960 Price List

Article about: Ever wonder what was available and what things cost back when collecting Third Reich artifacts was a new hobby? Here's a price list from 1960 and the covers of two publications from 1958. Yo

I started collecting three years after the top list here was written. The prices for SS items in 1960 were surely hardly cheap. These things were hardly inexpensive then.
    I find the reference to an appreciating market slightly tendentious, but it was prescient all the same.

I still have the first EK I I got in 1963, too.

At the time this list was published, the average weekly wage qas $#0-$60 a week. Gasoline was 29 cents a gallon. I find some of the prices high for the era and I do not believe a REAL Knights Cross w/ Oakleafs and Swords was $28.00 at that time. All things are relative. There was much original material and collectors were few.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Cool

My first Knights Cross/swds u. Oak Leaves - cased - cost me $50 in 1958.
    I had missed it when it first surfaced in 1957 (a friend bought it for $25). He later decided to sell it.
    I still have it.
    Sarge

?

God Bless you guy's. I was born in '61. so I missed out on all those good deals that now make us young wippersnappers drool over those prices listed.
    And to add to that , There were no reproductions/fakes around to be concerned about.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Image002.jpgThese prices were not really a bargain in their time, to be sure.

I am also taken with the idea in 1960 that someone already associated an investment potential with these things.

I had rather thought that this concept only took hold in the 1970s with the onset of inflation. Here is an image of a cap I now own in the year 1960.

- - ------- - -

The SS cap, that is, with the Revell models.

?

Thumbs up

Here is the way I displayed my medal/badge collection in the late 50s/early 60s - can't find the original photo to see what the date is on it.
    Large white bath towel nailed to the wall in my bedroom.
    Sarge

Well, for some reason the site will not let me into my photos???????????
    Guess I'll try again later.

Enjoy this bought my first German helmet M42 in 1963 for ten dollars but when you are making 75 cents to a dollar a day as a kid takes a while to buy it. timothy

?

Before the internet, i had a list of antique dealers i called once a week. Alot of perfect helmets, medals,guns, rifles, mp40s helmets etc etc etc. Very cheap compared to todays hysteria.

Now the prices are so unrealistic it aint fun to collect anymore.

In 1974 I purchased a cap, tunic, breeches and belt which had belonged to a German Infantry officer of IR 114. They cost me £60.

In the mid-1970's I was able to buy from a German dealer, well-known in those days,
    a complete uniform for SA-Wehrmannschaft. I hardly knew then about them. The
    shoes, trousers, belt and rare buckle, tunic with complete insignia and the rare field-cap
    would cost me about 125,- German Marks. I could not afford it, as it was about a weeks
    salary. You can't have all, but I still do remember this as if it was yesterday!!
    Practically all old lists from between the early 1970's up through about 2000, I threw away
    five years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast