Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Collecting for fun or profit????

Article about: Hi guys, I've been thinking, how many of us purposely collect to make a profit, how many buy knowing that they are paying top dollar for a 'must have' item and fully aware that they may not

Default Re: Collecting for fun or profit????

I collect because I like to collect and owning a piece of history is a pleasure in its own right and in the main what I collect is affordable and probably cheaper than holidays in the sun or many other hobbies. I do like to grab a bargain whenever I can and I along with some others rarely buy from dealers, and instead I am mostly searching antiques centers/shops, bootsales/fleamarkets, charity shops and Ebay and only sometimes will I pay what I think is the market value, as for me that is part of the fun. Having said that, I have paid full price for many items over the years and have lost money when I needed to sell items, whilst others I have made a profit on. The bargain hunting is part of the fun, but the owning of these items, for however long is the true reward and if as happened today when I drove 25 miles to a boot sale and came back empty handed, I know on another day I'll make a similar journey and come back with some good new additions. All part of the thrill.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by n0valyfe View Post
    Ever since I joined the forums my love for this hobby has escalated to a new level, I could never imagine selling anything from my collection; especially the ones you guys have helped me with.
    Hi, believe me, you will sell something eventually .
    For necessity, to to buy other items, etc.....
    We all do.

Cheers.
    Nuno

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi, believe me, you will sell something eventually .
    For necessity, to to buy other items, etc.....
    We all do.

Cheers.
    Nuno
    Indeed, there cannot be many collectors who have managed to keep everything they ever collected, I know I have had to sell many items over the years, though not many in the last few years.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I'm a buyer not a seller. I love my hobby. I started at a young age(13)collecting bayonets. Then realized I needed the rifles to mount them on.Then I needed the helmets to complete it.From there the militaria started,Swords medals, ribbons, personel equipment,Uniforms and on and on. I have been gifted several items and I have given several items to friends. But all in all It just the History behind the items and I know that my kids want those to be passed down to them. So Once again ,I'm not a seller and it has nothing to do with making a profit but I do like to haggle and get a good deal!

?

Personally I collect militaria for the fun and enjoyment of it. I have always had an interest in military history and a "wanting" to own some of it whether it is a cap badge, medal or webbing, whatever takes my eye at the time.
    I donot collect the particularly "high-end/high priced items", partly because I usually cant afford to and partly because I usually only have a passing interest in it. I do like my cap-badges though, (bought a new one this morning actually, bit OTT price wise, but its a good heavy "Yorkshire Regiment" one, current issue and cost me £10).
    I'm sure that there are items out there that we would all class as the "Holy Grail" of collecting, personally I would KILL to have a Knights Cross, on a genuine ribbon with swords, diamonds and oak leaves and a Pour le Merite on the shelf alongside a VC and US Congressional MoH, oh well, I can wish and dream!

If my family make some money out of my collection when I am gone or they keep it and continue adding to it then that will be down to them, until then, I will continue to enjoy picking up the odd piece here and there, whether its a badge or a book etc and keep enjoying what I do.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I enjoy it as a hobby, and instead of say, going to a movie, I read the forum and buy items. I have some physical good at the end of the day so I'm probably spending far less on my entertainment (in net) than most. BUT the fakery of certain items ***** all the joy out of it and I won't collect items that have attracted all the fakers.

I think some of us (myself included) are born with the collecting gene. If it were not military,
    it would be stamps or cars or rocks or pocket lint. I choose military because of the history.
    My family has a strong military history and military history has always fasinated me. I spend
    what I am comfortable with spending. I hope I spend wisely but for me it's not about the
    money--as you can tell from my very small collection. Someday the time might come when
    I decide to sell but that is not why I buy.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 10-21-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thank you one and all for your comments!!
    Interesting to see how common the reasons are - I guess that's why we are members of this forum?
    Cheers to all, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Okey, Greg....I'll bite....what the Hell is pocket link? lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I collect for the fun and interest of it, and some sort of O.C.D. as well I think. Although my Hitler Youth Shoulder Straps collection numbers in the hundreds, I still get a great deal of satisfaction from adding new items or items I've been looking for for a long time. The more difficult to find examples of course are a thrill to add, but I still enjoy adding even generic items as part of the collection en masse. It's not for profit for sure, as there are some items I've paid what most would consider silly money for that I just had to have. It's for the fun for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast