Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Collecting is it an Investment as well as a Pleasure ?

Article about: Hi All I was looking at Stonemints post on the sale of some of Mr Hicks rather nice SS militaria and the subsequent discussion that followed was around the price/value of the said items. Or

Default Collecting is it an Investment as well as a Pleasure ?

Hi All

I was looking at Stonemints post on the sale of some of Mr Hicks rather nice SS militaria and the subsequent discussion that followed was around the price/value of the said items. Or more precisely the fact they were way out of most collectors price range.

That in its self set me thinking as good items always sell and the "affordability" of them depends on the individuals budget, not the price of the item, the question it raised for me, is do you collect for pleasure or for investment ?

Now the answer to this I am sure has been kicked around for as long as people have been collecting, for me the obvious answer was for pleasure but now I think inadvertantly the answer is actually both.

I was helping a friend sort his long term collection out recently and he unearthed a hand written inventory or stock take of his collection from 1987.

I know we all talk about how much things were back in the day, but memories and judgement sometimes get cloudy with nostalga and it is only when you see it literally in black and white that the results can be quite amazing.

For your entertainment please find below the prices/value circa 1987 in GBP for items such as original M43 cap at £50 and waterbottles from £18 and tunics at £150.

For me this wasn't a reason to put everything out for sale and the items I have enjoyed over the years still for me anyway, continue to be worth collecting........................

cheers

Tony

IMG.jpgIMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

I collect because I enjoy the items, the history, the research, the finding of them, the meeting of minds with other collectors, but I also as often as possible try to buy items at less than what I think -assuming I know- is the going rate. The latter mainly so that when/if I want/need to sell them I can still move them on at less than the going rate as everyone likes to get a good deal I think. I don't buy them as an investment, though obviously one day the selling of my collection will give me some extra cash at a time when it will come in handy.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I can only speak for myself, and i can say i have never collected with "investment" in mind.

That is why i can enjoy my few trinkets without wasting time, thinking: ""How-much-is-this-and-that-worth?!""

I do not care about money, people with money often believe they are better than others- it is in the human nature. I have no desire to collect just to brag to others, i collect purely with the historical interest in mind.

I have given away valuable items, i have never regretted such actions. After all- to give makes me more happy than to recieve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The last Mg08 I purchased cost me £1,600 back in 2001. The year before, I purchased a VSM Vickers gun on 1916 tripod for £600. The Vickers gun now would cost around £3,500, and the Maxim around £8,000. But they were both disposed of several years ago. back in 1974, I purchased a full German officers uniform to a Lieutenant of the 116th Infantry regiment. It consisted of tunic, breeches, (Erel) peaked cap and belt, it cost me £65. That was sold not long after (at a profit) to pay for my honeymoon. I try to collect, but most things end up being sold on - there is little that I tend to keep. But I am now trying to change my ways, and some of my things I have now owned for over a year - which is good for me. If I purchased things with an eye on them as being an investment - then I think it would alter the way I choose the things to buy. because I obviously would be looking at things that would give me a better return on my money than other things in general which I just happen to like. So the answer for me would be no - I don't buy things as an investment. I buy them because I like them and wish to own them. But at the same time I will most certainly purchase items which are being sold way below their true value - just to sell at profit and buy something I really want!

As far as investments go, there are far better things to put your money into than militaria if you wish to see a more likely profitable outcome over time. For me it's about the collecting and the 'chase'! If in years to come I break even or make a modest profit I would be very happy, but as far as buying to invest, I think along the lines of a diversified mix of stocks, bonds, and money market funds, property and leaseholds therein. Those work for me and the collecting is more of a hobby, albeit sometimes an expensive one. I firmly believe that profits reaped (if any) are expotential to money invested as far as militaria goes, but the market is very fickle compared to other investment opportunities that are out there.

Regards, Nedson Rockefeller I.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Interesting and thought-provoking question...When I began hunting for militaria in Germany as an 8 year-old kid, I was certainly not thinking "investment"...I was thinking "COOL!", and I developed an almost obsessive thirst for knowledge along with the collecting...In fact, I knew of no other collectors as there was no real market as we see today, and the main sources available for information were photos and the family stories you heard at the kitchen table..."Der Krieg" was still a VERY sensitive subject in Germany, even within families...
    Today we have different dimensions...finding a desired item, price comparisons, desired information, etc etc...is child's play...I believe there is a huge difference between a historical collection accumulated through decades of passion and the results of another man's extended shopping spree, hoping to make a quick turnaround...Just my 2 cents...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 08-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.

it gives me pleasure.

I collect only for pleasure, and I only sell items from the collection if I suddenly own two identical items, I run out of space or because I want to focus on one part of the collection (e.g. focussing on bladed weapons, thus selling all the belt buckles to afford them). I have never bought anything with profit in mind, nor do I ever intend to do so. I collect for my enjoyment only, and because I love history. Especially military history.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The last Mg08 I purchased cost me £1,600 back in 2001. The year before, I purchased a VSM Vickers gun on 1916 tripod for £600. The Vickers gun now would cost around £3,500, and the Maxim around £8,000. But they were both disposed of several years ago. back in 1974, I purchased a full German officers uniform to a Lieutenant of the 116th Infantry regiment. It consisted of tunic, breeches, (Erel) peaked cap and belt, it cost me £65. That was sold not long after (at a profit) to pay for my honeymoon. I try to collect, but most things end up being sold on - there is little that I tend to keep. But I am now trying to change my ways, and some of my things I have now owned for over a year - which is good for me. If I purchased things with an eye on them as being an investment - then I think it would alter the way I choose the things to buy. because I obviously would be looking at things that would give me a better return on my money than other things in general which I just happen to like. So the answer for me would be no - I don't buy things as an investment. I buy them because I like them and wish to own them. But at the same time I will most certainly purchase items which are being sold way below their true value - just to sell at profit and buy something I really want!
    Steve
    Your 62 chum when was the honeymoon a heavy 08 today costs $12000-$18000 but they have to be shooters my first one cost me $4000 including $2000 of spare parts 1992.
    Personally I think the days of collecting as an investment are gone across the board a ceiling has been reached today its just too expensive in fact if you dealer buy you could be waiting a long time in hope of a return on money you initially spent. Dealers say different of course then they always ad buy 'quality' so you spend even more.
    I think a healthy way to look at it your paying to actually look after this gear for awhile and enjoy it.

Eric

?

Yes some things go up in value, but I have NEVER collected for that reason.. I love the stuff!!!!!

Dean O
    Canada

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast