Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is collecting more fun with fakes out there?

Article about: Hello everybody! Do you think that collecting is more fun when you have to avoid fakes? Is it more sport/fun when you have to study harder? Or was it better back in the days when there wasnt

Default Is collecting more fun with fakes out there?

Hello everybody!

Do you think that collecting is more fun when you have to avoid fakes?
    Is it more sport/fun when you have to study harder?

Or was it better back in the days when there wasnt any repros? (When I didnt existed)

I personally think there is more fun when you have to study hard,compare and look for many hours.
    It's fun to learn by others!

It wasnt long time ago I where afraid to start collecting because of all the repros. (But then I didnt know of this forum)

What do you think?

humpty-dumpty.gifpublishable.jpg306D143a.jpg2015-08-22 06.49.21 copy 2.jpg2015-08-18 11.45.38.jpgillo_09_th.jpg2015-08-02 10.40.50 copy.jpg2015-08-02 10.40.31 copy.jpg2015-08-02 10.41.12 copy.jpg2015-08-06 13.58.28 copy.jpgausstellung_rzm copy.jpgbeck1 copy.jpg2015-08-15 10.15.11 copy.jpgurteil.jpgWaffen-SS_Handbuch_JC_4.jpg9783506766441 copy 2.jpg2015-07-18 09.56.45-1 copy.jpgThe answer is simple: the intelligent collector, the alert collector is the successful collector.

The collector who aspires to know everything draws greater satisfaction, because the need to think is an ethical imperative.

Lazy collectors are a threat to themselves, and enable fakers to prosper because of mental sloth and bad habits of entitlement and dependency on mountebanks.

Fake SS stuff, 1934 copy.jpgAnd, at the risk of being didactic, there have always been fakes, even, as shown here, in 1934, as the SS grew into organizational independence from the SA.

As long as the Nazi uniform existed, it was faked, and there never was a period free of fakes.

Hence, one should not make false assumptions about the past.

There were less fakes, but in my field, the material was always rare and always faked.

Today the fakes are better and more plentiful, but today every piece of equipment used in the past is made on a staggering scale.

It is a major problem for the beginner, but not for the experienced collector.

The key is knowledge, and the fight for such knowledge is always its own reward.

The lazy and the stupid have no business with this stuff.

Nor is the issue simply between the haves and the have nots, because some of the most richly equipped haves spend all their time sharing such items
    with the have nots on this very site.

I totally agree with FB --- in all honesty I've never bought a single fake in this field that I can recall and they've never bothered me much either.
    When you have access to places inhabited by experienced collectors and historians, such as here, and a vast library of reference books out there I see no real excuse for ending up buying loads of fakes. We all make mistakes, sure, but as long as you do your homework you should for the most part be golden. Ignorance and/or greed is surely the main reason for purchases of fakes---again, i recognize there are exceptions as any situation wherein you might happen upon what appears to be a period item is unique to some degree... lots of variables.

The only thing I personally worry about from time to time would be packages arriving unscathed. So far, so good.

The process of learning and absorbing new knowledge, expanding your horizon, is one of the best things about this hobby. The passion and interest for history, observing the effects back then and rippling effect to this very day is what drives me, the items are a very close second, being a way of getting closer to times past ... this even though we are of course just as far removed as before --- an odd human quirk, I guess. No less enjoyable though!

?

Well, read is one of the key.
    Keep your brain young and active. Nothing worse than a lazy brain.
    Collect old relics keep your mind young... Paradox...

Acquired fakes can be a double edged sword......one knowing it is fake and adding it to their reference library for study against future acquirements..or study in discernment.
    The Other is as mentioned above..the lazy person..who amasses these worthless things ( through thousands of dollars ) and has made them more expensive in his own collection than actual authentic artifacts ,,.. Gaining nothing except and empty wallet..empty head..a full shelf of cheaply made trinkets,,and dust.

Auction house suicides are growing at an alarming rate..where swastika stars in their eyes buyers ..are spending a mint on nothing !!

Why run down a hill and scare all the cattle and possibly catch one..when you can walk slowly down the hill ..and acquire them all. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

"Why run down a hill and scare all the cattle and possibly catch one..when you can walk slowly down the hill ..and acquire them all" My dad told me that same story, but it wasnt about 'catching' one lol..it was more a lesson in spreading ones virtues, for want of a better term

agreed Wiz...and is yet useful in all other Lifes amenities..and challenges we face. One such challenge is not scare oneself and become an impulse buyer.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I suppose if there wasn't good replica's about the only thing we'd be able to compare our items to is the 'textbook' examples?

You'd be spending your time making sure every screw is the right colour/texture for the period and maker and things like that.

The other sites do thus. See items below, as suited for ten year olds.

Our answer here, by contrast, is to use the mind and to use the evidence in a disciplined way.

For many, the former () is satisfying and scratches their inner itch, while ignoring the rich evidence of the past.

To each his own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast