Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Collecting Nazi memorabilia is it wrong ?

Article about: by big ned I sense the inky fingerprints of a journalist all over this question looking for something where they can get in a few cheap shots that will not bear well towards the collecting c

?

Default Re: Collecting Nazi memorabilia is it wrong ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Thanks for that Ned. No doubt the Daily Mail will misrepresent the TR collecting community and sensationalise the activity into something that will send Middle England into a paroxym of outraged demands for the collecting of militaria to be banned by law and anyone who indulges in such a heinous pastime to be made into a pariah of society.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Nice comment Adrian. How come people collecting Red Army and/or NKVD items is not treated the same way??? Personally i don't give a damn what people collect, except Cyklon B can and such. I remember some auction house had such items up for sale. Not good.

?

Im not so sure about the cigarette case and the story behind it, according to most of the people who knew him, he could not stand the smell of cigarette smoke and would make him cough very badly due to his injuries in WW1, therefore be forbad anyone smoking in his presence and he banned it from the bunker nearly right to the end, he didnt even let Eva Braun smoke near him, plus i think that if you see any footage of him at Eagles nest, noone is smoking in his presence or out on the balcony

I think the question that started this thread is wrong.................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Thanks for that Ned. No doubt the Daily Mail will misrepresent the TR collecting community and sensationalise the activity into something that will send Middle England into a paroxym of outraged demands for the collecting of militaria to be banned by law and anyone who indulges in such a heinous pastime to be made into a pariah of society.
    It's funny actually Adrian, the majority of journo's these days have grown lazy, or are juniors who ain't gotta clue what they're on about anyway.

Point of fact, last month Craig Gottlieb auctioned off two portraits of A.H.'s parents. Cue a ripple of condescension, but nothing to upset the horses, yet in the same auction was the random( and I say that in the highest sense) can of Zyklon-B that was obviously being advertised, however veiled, as used to gas Jews etc. It never even got a single mention....Nothing, yet was widely condemned here to a man. I think that sums up the press these days. Let's see how many more of these 'rags' end up like the NoW with the 'Milly Dowler case' et al, they were all at it....and this is only the beginning, they are the lowest of the low, not us.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I think the question that started this thread is wrong.................!
    Totally agree Steve, notwithstanding the fact that to use the term "NAZI" gives a false impression of all German soldiers of that period, this has become a misnomer that the press always jumps on and is quick to print on any subject pertaining to the Third Reich in general and I wish it wasnt used here either unless its in the right context,, how many times do we have to say it, Not all Germans were NAZIS

When I began collecting in 1956, it was not considered to be odd. Vets were interested in the fact that a young lad was interested in collecting and preserving their time in history. Many veterans who were small business owners proudly displayed their souvenirs in their business, often the front window.
    the advent of the neonazi movement along with gross dramatization of the period by the entertainment industry has given many non historical buffs in to nay sayers. A phrase I learned from a good friend who is a retired US Marine Colonel is "it is good to be able to utilize your enemies equipment."
    Those who collect and wish to glorify the era deserve their critics. Collectors who amass for a historical perspective need to be understood.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's funny actually Adrian, the majority of journo's these days have grown lazy, or are juniors who ain't gotta clue what they're on about anyway.

Point of fact, last month Craig Gottlieb auctioned off two portraits of A.H.'s parents. Cue a ripple of condescension, but nothing to upset the horses, yet in the same auction was the random( and I say that in the highest sense) can of Zyklon-B that was obviously being advertised, however veiled, as used to gas Jews etc. It never even got a single mention....Nothing, yet was widely condemned here to a man. I think that sums up the press these days. Let's see how many more of these 'rags' end up like the NoW with the 'Milly Dowler case' et al, they were all at it....and this is only the beginning, they are the lowest of the low, not us.

Ned.
    I think the word is 'fickle'.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

So where is 'Badge' since he asked the question??

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Probably writing are comments of collecting in a newspaper

cheers

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast