Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Collection liquidation

Article about: Hi All, I will have mine sent to The Marshall's Baton and Hermann Historica for Auction, as everybody I know sadly thinks TR Militaria is Nazi crap! Regards SK

Hi All, I will have mine sent to The Marshall's Baton and Hermann Historica for Auction, as everybody I know sadly thinks TR Militaria is Nazi crap!

Regards SK

My ignorant wife always threaded me about selling the whole s... For less than nothing to the first and best, who is dumb enough to pay for it :-/
    And to tell you the trough, when that time comes, I don't give a damn. ;-)))

Mfg
    Marc

I think it is better to give/sell it all to a collector friend who respects you and your family and can be trusted to act in the best interest of your spouse. Your spouse may feel overwhelmed managing a large collection of militaria all alone.

Quote by big ned View Post
    "Send it all to my good friend Big Ned in England.......Along with the kids' college fund.....Urrgh."
    How can you have a collection and still have the kid's college fund?
    .... impossible! !!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    .... impossible! !!

Cheers, Dan
    Lol, that's why my wife still works!!!

But seriously, as others have said
    1) write a description and purchase/values down fir everything
    2) if kids are interested, identify who gets what beforehand
    3) find a trusted and knowledgeable dealer or friend to help "after" the event.

But the one I like the best is to find someone who has the same passion to preserving history to ensure it is truly enjoyed and taken care off.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    .... impossible! !!
    Cheers, Dan
    I have 4 kids. #1 son is just about to get his AS and my daughter will start next year. When I kick the bucket my collection will be part of the college fund. The kids that are into these items and I know will pass them along to their kids will get their choice. I have several Great friends that will get the best price for what I have collected over these years..... But They all know I want to be put on the Burial firepit and everything I have be sent with me to Valhalla!!!! We will see!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I think we often kid ourselves that our collection is or should be more important to world heritage than in reality it is.

However back to the original question.

Such is my conceit, that when I shed this mortal coil I have willed my collection to several national museums whose collection acquisition policy I think reflects some of my own collecting themes. I am of the firm belief that national and academic museums are the only true custodians and curators of history and not we collectors. I am happy for them to cherry pick the most relevant artifacts and dispose of the rest, as is their want, back to the collectors market....assuming in the first place they even consider anything in my collection of the same historic significance as I do.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

In your twilight years and with chosen good fellow collectors you've known for years, sell your collection,
    en-mas, yourself as if your are smart, you've studied and updated your collection's value for years and
    will get the most cash for it. I was 83 when I considered letting a unique TR arms and ordnance collection
    and all I had to do was mention my intention to one or two old collector friends and after giving them a
    detailed list with my estimated current values indicated, offers were made that I could not refuse and they
    flew in and picked up their goodies after handing over cashier's checks. They were happy and I was happy
    and I still am . . . . I often peruse the many photos I have of my 50+ year collection which gives me much
    joy albeit, of course, not as great as the physical items did. My kids, friends and wife don't need any extra
    hassle during or after my demise and the cash distribution is prearranged. Neat and clean! This occurred
    over three years ago and I know it was the best way to handle this kind of situation . . . .think about it,
    who knows the collection better than you and can therefore extract the best bottom line for it . . . . yeah, YOU!

?

I tried to like this post Ron but it didn't work..so here it LIKE... sounds like a good idea I may get rid of my collection before then so I can spend the money..lol The kids can have the house after me & my wife have popped off.. Cheers Terry.

I have given my wife details of a trusted member on this forum for advice

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast