Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Collection liquidation

Article about: Hi All, I will have mine sent to The Marshall's Baton and Hermann Historica for Auction, as everybody I know sadly thinks TR Militaria is Nazi crap! Regards SK

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I have given my wife details of a trusted member on this forum for advice

Nick
    Thanks Nick!
    Much appreciated! (lol!!)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

My trinkets will do donated to a local warmuseum. Do i trust museums? No, ofcource not- but these instutiones are the ones i have most faith in, there is to much greed around to call todays "collecting world" a collecting community.

By donating my pile of old rags and other wortless trash to a museum, i know there is a bigger chance the children of the future can learn from our history.
    ---------

Ah, almost forgot a tiny detail. I would not trust any of my wifes, fiancees or girlfriends to take care of my collection if i happen to accedently stab myself in the back 7times with a big kitchen knife.

I do not trust anything that can bleed a week each month without taking any damage of it.

I do not have to worry too much about where my items will go, as my eldest daughter shares the same passion as I do for WW1 military history. I was never blessed with a son, but I do have a very young grandson whom I hope will one day have an interest in military history. I have already had a taste of disposing of a collection due to serious ill-health, but I was fortunate enough to recover and was able to start all over again. As for leaving items to museums, that's a definite NO! I once donated to the Cheshire Regiment museum and the items never saw the light of day.

I do not worry too much about what will happen to my small collection upon my demise. But my personal collection covering my Army service and active service in Northern Ireland is another thing. There are all my photo's, my medal and my diaries and other items connected with my service. It would break my heart to see them broken up and disposed of as separate lots. I'm sure my family would not do such a thing, but when I see these programs on TV where family members are selling medals and the like which belonged to relatives because they are 'downsizing', it certainly is a worry. The one thing I do have which can never be taken away from me are my two books. The new one is dedicated to my two grandchildren. And so even if they do not have any of my militaria to remind them of me, they will at least be able to show people my book and say: "That's what our granddad wrote."

DSCF5888.jpgDSCF5890.jpg

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I have given my wife details of a trusted member on this forum for advice

Nick
    I didn't get that email Nick????.. lol. Cheers Terry.

If I die unexpectantly, my wife will ship all my crosses
    to a friend and fellow collector. He has agreed to sell
    the pieces off for her and he can keep whichever piece
    he wants for his own collection.

I am sure I will take a loss on the pieces but hay---
    I'm dead. As long as she gets something out of it,
    then I'm happy. She has no clue as to the value.
    (She would probably kill me herself out of anger if
    she knew what I paid for some of my treasures"
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Planning in case of a sudden, unexpected demise is wise.

I am currently building a spreadsheet database of ALL my bits and pieces with photos of each, details of each (maker mark etc), price paid, when purchased, where purchased and rough estimate of annual appreciation rate so that my good lady wife will have at least some clue as to what to unload things for so she doesn't get ripped off. The thumbdrive with the spreadsheet she is already warned is off-limits until I am no longer around for I fear if she gets to see the total numbers my end may be closer in sight than I imagined!

?

An interesting subject which I have thought of from time to time and have discussed with my wife in case of my early demise my wife knows my user name and password to this fine forum.
    And since you gentlemen have been kind enough over the years to help me evaluate most of my collection in detail I feel it will be a great resource for her and it will help to level the playing field as it were so that she does not get ripped off by unscrupulous collectors and or dealers.
    I as well have left her contact information for a few of you gentlemen in case she needs advice I would hope Mr Whamond at the Guild would be kind enough to take it all on and look after the details for her.

Regards Mark

Leave bits of it hidden all over the country and send my kids on the scavenger hunt of a lifetime.

CBH
    ?

As I am not married , and have no children ( to my knowledge ) I hope to find a family members child and foster an interest in military collecting . Family items from my mothers side will go to that side of the family . I do have a godson and hope to make him a collector photo below .
    But on the other hand I am hoping to purchase a collection from the wife of a departed collector , he died suddenly and made no plans for his collection . She doesn't know what to do with it and has held on to it for some years now . I feel it's a waste to have a collection boxed up and not appreciated .
    If I can't find a family member who will care for it , I hope to have my collection sold off cheap to young collectors who love this crap like I do !
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

If your spouse were to liquidate your collection,would you recommend auction house,consignment, or direct sale to dealer.Any specific recommendations as to the foregoing?Your help is genuinely appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast