Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

collection protection advice

Article about: You can get a rider on your home insurance policy, it's what I have. No need to photograph anything, a simple declaration of value by a reputable and recognized third party and itemized list

?

You can get a rider on your home insurance policy, it's what I have. No need to photograph anything, a simple declaration of value by a reputable and recognized third party and itemized list is all that's required. You may have to be subject to a home security analysis and risk assessment. It's nuts not to insure these things.

How do you protect it from divorce?.....which would be the same as losing it in a fire....and Im not trying to be funny..as this has happened to me and lost some key pieces of my collection. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    How do you protect it from divorce?.....which would be the same as losing it in a fire....and Im not trying to be funny..as this has happened to me and lost some key pieces of my collection. Regards Larry
    Oddly enough I have bought some of my best pieces from guys who've needed to sell due to divorce. Divorce and taxes are two sad reasons why collectors sell.

No insurance protects you from that. Find a better wife, and mine is off limits!

Wives are like seasons of change...which no one can ever tell which way the wind blows. Another thought other than divorce which also should be kept in mind..is the any type of lawsuit which may involve car accidents..or some form of bodily injury. Insurance companies will look to ones insurance first..and if thats not enough..then they will attack any assets the individual may have. Anything of value that is insured will pop up on the radar. Its a gamble sometimes whether to insure or not..as none of us in life are immune to natural disasters....or accidents caused by carelessness. BTW.....as far as "better wives " are concerned... quite few years ago,,,,I got the last one Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I figure I must be up to about $40,000 spent on my collection. Insurance would be a good thing if I could be assured the company would pay up and not argue the value of every item (especially the relics).

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Well, as we know these women dont know if the items are genuine or copy. So have a duplicate collection ready if you feel a divorce is coming up. Give her half of all your trinkets with a smile. And keep the genuine pieces.

No i am not joking.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Well, as we know these women dont know if the items are genuine or copy. So have a duplicate collection ready if you feel a divorce is coming up. Give her half of all your trinkets with a smile. And keep the genuine pieces.

No i am not joking.
    I think that there may be a couple of members here that don't quite agree with parts of this statement....

A good question to ask the insurance companies is there a coverage for lawsuits and matrimonial.

Also I dont want this thread to go down hill and imply women may not know the value of the item. This is not true..they do know that there must be some kind of value or we would not collect it..or hold it in high regard. Lets stay on the course of the topic title on how to protect our collectables as a whole..from disaster circumstances of all types...as both the men and women here are collectors. Regards Larry

great advice navyman and glad it reminded you on the importance of good cover ,also thanks for your thoughts on the matter too dougb ,larry ,glenn ,allegra and trondk i never even gave divorce a second thought ,i should of really after the amount of times she's threatened me with it after a new purchase ,seriously though cheers guys it is appreciated

As stated it should be covered under house insurance; however if the collection is particularly valuable you might wish to add a rider to the insurance as house insurance will only over up to a certain amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2