Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Contacting Second World War Veterans...

Article about: Hello everyone, I thought I'd see if anyone here could help me, I've been on this forum since January this year, and I'm not completely sure, but at 15 y/o I would think I am one of the youn

As a side note to posts # 7 - 9: It is interesting to note that U.S. military personnel interned in Switzerland only became eligible for the POW medal in 2013.

POW medal recognises US aviators

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Say what?? Swiss forces took offensive action against the USAF (and presumably others)?

I've not heard of this before.
    yes. it happened. When swiss airspace got violated, the Swiss Army went into action with their Messerschmitts (!!) and old french Dewoitine-planes.. The swiss shot down British, German and US-Planes alike.. Maybe they were not too efective, but they hat to do so to defend the swiss airspace from "invaders" and the swiss neutrality.. Usually they took down the planes that came already damaged, as they were slower and easier to pick out of a "1000 Bomber"- formation. But it was more symbolic than anything else...

But i dont want to distract from the original topic, interviewing the Vets.. I just wanted to state that one can get incredible stories, or they might dissapear forever.

Collecting the stories is as valid as collecting militaria.. they preserve the context. And items without context are only dead object, maybe even worthless objects..

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Say what?? Swiss forces took offensive action against the USAF (and presumably others)?

I've not heard of this before.

Glenn, look at this lilĀ“video.... Swiss Air Force VS USAF B-24 Liberator Bomber:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1E559YVFU

Land or be shot down..

Thanks, you can learn something every day!

?

Harvey there are numerous events that take place over the year where Veterans will be in attendance , many attend the NMA for specific parades , i go there with loads of Gunner veterans from all wars and campaigns on Gunner Saturday , the first saturday in July each year ! Check out the website and the programme and go along to meet some of the blokes ,it's not too far from you , Burton on Trent !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Harvey there are numerous events that take place over the year where Veterans will be in attendance , many attend the NMA for specific parades , i go there with loads of Gunner veterans from all wars and campaigns on Gunner Saturday , the first saturday in July each year ! Check out the website and the programme and go along to meet some of the blokes ,it's not too far from you , Burton on Trent !
    Thanks for the response Paul! I've had a reply from the RBL and they are in the process of notifying branches and are trying to find willing veterans! Over the moon about it!!! && I'm Derby so will go to that if and when, you'll have to remind me but I'll definitely come along if its okay with the guys.

The RBL believe to have found a veteran that I might be able to contact fingers crossed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2