Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Cutting up a battle flag

Article about: I was also a bit upset about the German Government destroying all the Third Reich buildings and bunkers. Its a different story as compared to Upper Deck but, I think History should be preser

?

Default Re: Cutting up a battle flag

It's always a sad day when a piece of history is destroyed forever in this way and the pieces sent to anonymous collections around the world.

Mr Rob Ford is not a historian or preserver of history no matter what his diatribe of self justification might be. He is in the business of making money and not caring for historic artifacts for the good of future generations.
    I don't believe he is qualified to decide what people want to or don't want to see in museums. If he was that concerned about the number of people wanting to share a part of history he would've had the flag preserved in whatever state it was in for many more people to view than the individuals who are the new custodians of these remnants. The state of the flag to me is irrelevant, it is history, a piece of American history and the rips, tears and cuts on it were all part of that flag's history as a whole.
    Now it is forever lost for what it once was and the individual pieces have been cheapened in what to me are very tacky looking frames and the flag will never again be seen by the people whose ancestors fought and died for.

At least Rob Ford and 'Upper Deck' can soften the blow of the destruction of history and have their minds distracted by this act of vandalism by counting the money they are earning from it. A price can't be put on history.

Or can it...................?

My comments are merely my own personal opinion and do not reflect on Maximus and his acquisition of such a piece. The flag is destroyed now and can't be put back together.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

So because someone else had already cut it up, that justified them destroying the remainder? Good job, Upper Deck. Do us all a favor and stick to sports cards and memorabilia. If Bath Ruth's jersey had holes in it, would they cut that up, too, in the name of historic preservation???? What a bunch of A-Holes.

Keep in mind, though, that all the placard says is that it "was used in the Civil War". This wording could cover Anything from the era anywhere in the entire country. It does Not state that this was something like a carried battleflag at Appomattox or such. If this is,indeed, a genuine CW ERA flag, it could just as easily have been from some old courthouse attic somewhere in some little town in California or such also. One often sees "antiques" like clothes pins from the era being called "Civil War clothes pins". If these bits came from some old rotting to bits flag out of some one's trunk in their attic out in North Dakota or elsewhere and the closest it ever came to "being in the Civil War" was hanging on some pole in a wealthy family's front yard 1000 miles from any military or battlefield, I can't really work up much sympathy for it's demise. Every day, such things are being discarded in the trash as Gizmo can well testify. The Truly Historical Battleflags carried into Gettysburg, etc. ......well...that's a different animal all together.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Excellent answers by everyone, and I understand everybody's points, I collect some civil war items, and they also have cards with civil war buttons, pieces of a leather wallet and photos, so where do you draw the line? buttons ok but flags no? dug up buckles on a battlefield ok but a piece of flag no? is the guy in his basement cutting this up and mailing it out in bubble mailers better or worse then what upper deck did? you could ask is it ok to own a cut up or a blood stained item from an enemy capture such as germany/japan?, many are for sell on the open market and many have them in there collections. This item along with alot of historical collectibles is a great debate with a small grey area and thin line to walk without offending some people, I know many people would never want to own this and I did not purchase it to show any disrespect, if someone feel's that it is wrong to own then I am sorry I do not feel on a large level this it is. I will never in my lifetime own a complete civil war flag, and they are out there for sale, I would rather see one in a museum, and yes I fully understand the wrong side of this, but to have a piece of one to display with my other civil war items seemed like it was ok since it was already done and presented in this manner. here is a photo of what a section of the flag looked like when upper deck received it, this is BEFORE they cut it up.
    Upper-Deck-Goodwin-Champions-Museum-Collection-Battle-Flag.jpg

and yes it could be a civil war era flag found in someones attic, I am not sure on the research or proof that it was an actual battle flag, which falls under the "buy the item not the story" mantra.

If Bath Ruth's jersey had holes in it, would they cut that up, too, in the name of historic preservation????
    ohhhhhh you wont like this answer lol, but they have been for a long time, along with other card companies, buying Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Jackie Robinson, and yes Cal Ripken Jr etc etc numerous players items such as game used jersey's and pant's and bats from auctions and cutting them up to put in cards, a ruth jersey card sells for about 300, bat cards about 100 and so on, sports memorablia is a whole other monster when it comes to making money and profit, its insane what they do to give any common person "who doesnt have charlie sheen's money" a chance to own some history. Whether people like it or not, or agree or not, its out there! Play Ball!
    scan0045.jpg

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    ohhhhhh you wont like this answer lol, but they have been for a long time, along with other card companies, buying Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Jackie Robinson, and yes Cal Ripken Jr etc etc numerous players items such as game used jersey's and pant's and bats from auctions and cutting them up to put in cards, a ruth jersey card sells for about 300, bat cards about 100 and so on, sports memorablia is a whole other monster when it comes to making money and profit, its insane what they do to give any common person "who doesnt have charlie sheen's money" a chance to own some history. Whether people like it or not, or agree or not, its out there! Play Ball!
    scan0045.jpg
    LOL, I should have known better. It doesn't surprise me.

?

Upper Deck have done more to destroy historical artifacts than any other company. They should be arrested for destroying historical heritage. A few years back they put out a "Historical" Series which cut up original documents from Lincoln, Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Adams...Documents from The Revolution and Civil War. Original Uniforms from Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and Ty Cobb.

Its disgusting and their bullshit excuse that they are the "Preservers" of History, then give us some sly wink of how responsible they are and its all about how much money they can make by destroying these items. I will NEVER buy an Upper Deck product.

?

It's a dick move no matter how they frame it. If you can't see that you will never understand that it is all about profit.

It is akin to parting out helmet components and bladed weapons and their sheaths.
    Regards,
    John

It was said that in Medieval Europe there were enough pieces of the 'True Cross' held as relics to build a replica of Noah's Ark...

Who does their authenticating, I wonder? If the experts are anything like in the Autograph and Memorabilia business "Experts and their Certificates".....I think it's all academic Anyway....Who's to say their "expert" isn't someone like Charlie Snyder? lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast