Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Cutting up a battle flag

Article about: I was also a bit upset about the German Government destroying all the Third Reich buildings and bunkers. Its a different story as compared to Upper Deck but, I think History should be preser

?

Default Re: Cutting up a battle flag

I was also a bit upset about the German Government destroying all the Third Reich buildings and bunkers. Its a different story as compared to Upper Deck but, I think History should be preserved, good or bad. I would of loved to go to Berchtedsgarden or the Fuhrer Bunker or Wolfs Lair etc... I know Germany wants to completely erase that, but it was such a massive piece of history that I think showing it and preserving it could of gone a lot farther than just erasing and Ignoring.

But, the last quarter century we have seen a very strong movement in the preserving and care of historical artifacts and documents. Which is great.

The problem with the significant Nazi sites is that they then could become rallying points for the current crop of 'wannabe Adolphs'-that's the reason the German govt wants to remove them.

i agree again with maximus on the matter and he said it himself that flag looks horribly cut up and now he has a chance to have a piece of a flag from the era in affordable condition !!! also i know a few brought it up but its not like he is cutting up a flag from gettysburg it is most likely a flag that was out side a house or state building i still dont see y it is such a massive issue !!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Who does their authenticating, I wonder? If the experts are anything like in the Autograph and Memorabilia business "Experts and their Certificates".....I think it's all academic Anyway....Who's to say their "expert" isn't someone like Charlie Snyder? lol
    I had thought about this too. Who's to say how old and where the flag
    actually came from before it was cut into scraps ? If it was an
    important relic, I don't think any Patriot would be
    hacking it to bits.

How far will one shredded flag go to satisfy the need for original CW
    artifacts, and all the folks lined up to buy a slice of history ?
    Perhaps the series was or has been augmented with
    'other' flags, but not original/historic CW flags.

How is one to know the provenance from a 1" X 2"
    scrap of cotton.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Under the same logic they should cut up non pristine Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth baseball cards, so that many collectors can experience the joy of owning a small bit.

I mean, its not like Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth actually owned them.
    Regards,
    John

?

The line is drawn when you CUT the american flag! Buttons, belt buckles and helmets that were picked up on the battlefield are not the equivalent symbols of freedom -what so many men and women fought and died for! The collector in me feels the flag should have been preserved and donated to a museum, There was really no way of justifying anything that was done to that flag. You must have felt that it was wrong as you were very defensive of what was done, no?

I respect your opinion jonobo and if the idea was personally pitched to me before cutting it up then of course I would have said no, that isnt even a question, I am not the one who did this to this poor flag, but taking all the info into consideration and the fact that it has already been done and processed, as sadly as that may be or feel, then having a piece in my home amongst my other important historical items is not an issue for me, I understand owning a piece may be seen as condoning what happened, but to disrespect it after its been disrespected isnt right either, and it will be respected for what it is under my roof, I am not selling it for profit, I bought it to keep and hand down, I looked at this as more of a north related item of the time, isnt a battle flag a state flag? with different designs and such, unlike an official red white and blue old glory, I wonder how feelings would be different for a confederate flag.

?

The flag shouldn't have been cut in the first place. Upper deck just exploited the opportunity to make money. Maximus, don't feel like anyone is mad at you for buying it, someone else would have gotten it anyway. I think it could have been restored..especially with upper decks funds. They don't destroy dinosaur skeletons if they aren't complete , they restore the missing pieces. I own a Kries leiters armband without the roundal . Should I cut it up, or should I try to replace the roundal, or restore it with period fabric and piping? I don't care about the money, I care about the historical value.

Thanks dean but the angry mob is building up outside my house as we speak, Maybe I should have bought the card with the hammer from a civil war musket inside it instead lol, oh btw the ring and tie string piece from this flag sold on ebay for 4000 and the stars 2000 a piece, a whole new twist on the saying freedom isnt free.

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Thanks dean but the angry mob is building up outside my house as we speak, Maybe I should have bought the card with the hammer from a civil war musket inside it instead lol, oh btw the ring and tie string piece from this flag sold on ebay for 4000 and the stars 2000 a piece, a whole new twist on the saying freedom isnt free.
    wow thats a huge sum of money i never expected a small piece to be worth that much or bring that much interest !!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast