Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Cutting up a battle flag

Article about: I was also a bit upset about the German Government destroying all the Third Reich buildings and bunkers. Its a different story as compared to Upper Deck but, I think History should be preser

?

Default Re: Cutting up a battle flag

So it would seem there are at least two (likely More) camps in regards to this flag.

The keep intact camp

The part it out camp

I must admit that I am firmly in the keep it intact and preserve it as found camp and find parting it out somewhat sacrilegious.
    Regards,
    John

For the record I could never trust a profit-making enterprise that could be selling me a 2 inch square cut from their mother's old tablecloth for all I know. Unless someone wants to do a carbon test on their 2 inch square you'd never really be sure. Unless you are inclined to trust in their own 'expert' COA of course.

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    For the record I could never trust a profit-making enterprise that could be selling me a 2 inch square cut from their mother's old tablecloth for all I know. Unless someone wants to do a carbon test on their 2 inch square you'd never really be sure. Unless you are inclined to trust in their own 'expert' COA of course.
    Exactly. I have a tea towel that looks remarkably like Babe Ruth's jersey......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

As I said, So many autograph/memorabilia items are simply rubbish it would horrify the average person who still trusts and believes the "experts" and their certificates. That flag pictured could and likely did come from nowhere and how do you know if it Didn't? Because "John Smith" of Memorabilia Authentication Services has examined it and written that he thinks it's okey? Sorry...as in Our own hobby, how many times have we seen Big Name personality items that are total crap? Which German General was it again, who after the war used to go down and order a carload of fake hats made up and supplemented his pension with their sales? He wasn't Lying when he said they were His hats-they Were...he simply never said that he wore them During the war-era, is all. People like Charlie Snyder laughing at the "suckers and marks" buying his unique one of a kind trash and giving them a certificate with it and challenging Anyone to prove it was definitely Not as he said it was? In many cases, it's almost Impossible to Prove something is not what the plausible story Says it is-and people like Snyder Know it. Why do you think he's still in business all these years and hasn't been sued or arrested into Oblivion by now? No...I don't swallow stories like this flag just because "someone" said they were so. $2000 for a Star? Are these people either rich and insane or just rich and Stupid? What in God's name would the Confederate Battleflag from Nashville be worth that I had 40 years ago, I wonder? You could still find them intact in those days for less than the price of a new Jaguar. I used to hang it on my wall for a display....Apparently, I should have sliced it up and sold it by the square inch for zillions....lol I guess PT Barnum was right afterall...there really Is a sucker born every minute!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Barnum is widely but erroneously credited with coining the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute."[4]

P. T. Barnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally find this whole enterprise distasteful. I am going to take a hammer to my medals and badges......any takers for a piece?
    Of course, I'll only be using awards that have lost a catch, pin or finish.

Tom

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The entire flag in pieces could have been 'saved' by mounting it in a frame,
    leaving gaps in the areas that were missing - regardless of how much or
    how little was missing. I've seen this done with Revolutionary War flags.

Each of these scraps are being sold off - likely for a greater sum than
    the shredded flag was worth - for monetary value rather than
    collector value. Do these tiny little pieces really hold
    that much worth or interest ?

As a collector, I would have preferred to keep all of the original
    bits together to preserve the history that remains.

Sad and a shame, but what's done is done.........
    This.

?

In my book 'Rob Ford' ranks about as high as Bob Ford (snake shit high for the more dense types).

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    A proper conservator could have mounted what was left of the flag and made it presentable as a collectable. I saw a Confederate silk unit flag that had become nothing but a ball of thread put back together and made museum presentable To me, this is nothing more than breaking up a grouping to fulfill the most basic of human faults, greed.
    Could not agree more, Bob.

Preservation and conservation is what he claims to do. He did nothing of those things.
    $$$$$this is what he wants and what he likes.
    Believe me, until yesterday, i did not care about sports memorabilia. But after Maximus had shown what they did to Babe Ruth uniform, that actually pissed me off a bit.

I am glad I opened alot of peoples eyes and this thread was a healthy discussion on a topic that is more out there then people know, there is always a certain amount of leap of faith when believing anything about an item being sold as original, people buy babe ruth autograph baseballs for 15 grand and even though an expert said its real how can you be sure unless babe himself handed it to you, same goes for a SS visor. I was buying sports memorablia for 20 years before I transitioned to militaria and the same common principles apply, be very careful, assume its fake first, buy only from well respected trusted dealers and research your ass off.
    Now Adrian I must ask...how much do you want for that tea towel? Lol

?

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Now Adrian I must ask...how much do you want for that tea towel? Lol
    If you want the whole thing, I can do it for maybe $1.99 and free shipping.

If you just want a little piece it will be $500 per two inch square, $50 extra if you want a COA hand written by me. This will include a photo of me either drying dishes with said cloth or laughing maniacally as I roll around in piles of money.

Registered and insured tracked shipping to the destination of your choice is extra and Paypal fees are to be covered by you.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast