Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dambusters !!

Article about: Today is the day 70 years ago that the famous Dams raid began , the first Lancaster of 617 Squadron took off from RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire at 21.28 , the First aircraft reached the Mohne

?

Default Dambusters !!

Today is the day 70 years ago that the famous Dams raid began , the first Lancaster of 617 Squadron took off from RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire at 21.28 , the First aircraft reached the Mohne Dam at 12.15 am 17/5/1943 and at 12.28am Wing Commander Guy Gibson VC ,DSO and Bar , DFC and Bar attacked the Dam.

19 Lancasters containing 133 crewmen set out , 8 were lost and 53 of the crew did not return and were Killed in action , 3 were captured .

Many of those who survived the Dams raid including Gibson were later shot down and lost.

Today at the relevant times my thoughts will be those Brave young men who carried out one of the greatest feats of flying of the war !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Default Re: Dambusters !!

Certainly one of the bravest actions of WWII and the flying must have been nearly impossible. Truly such brave men and their deeds should be remembered and honoured for all time.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

Very brave men, true heroes.

BBC2 tonight 7.00pm a tribute from RAF Scampton !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A fascinating piece of the wars history that has captivated me for years. We Honor and remember the brave men by keeping the history alive, never forgetting what was given in exchange for what we have today.

Just watched the Dambusters tribute on the Beeb, bloody marvellous!!

There's a 'real time' broadcast of the raid on BBC Radio Humberside now that will follow the progress of the raid throughout the night as it happened.

If you open the link below in another window, you can listen to the programme whilst viewing the forum, i'm doing it now and it's great!

BBC - Radio Humberside Dambusters Special - 16/05/2013

It may take a minute to load, give it chance....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings