Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The Defenders of Rourkes Drift

Article about: Just a quick note, there was a guy near to where i live that used to collect anything to do with the Zulu war, i remember seeing a very nice short spear and shield on his wall plus some leg

Default Re: The Defenders of Rourkes Drift

Quote by oradour View Post
    Ade and Gents, great thread, brave men indeed, I cant recall how many times I have seen this movie, but I remember the first time, I was 9yrs old when my father took to see the film at the Gaumont Cinema, on Oxford Road in central Manchester in 1964. Another survivor from Rorkes Drift is buried up here in Manchester, in Phillips Park Cemetery... William Jones. Birth: 1839 Death: Apr. 15, 1913.
    Born in Evesham, Worcestershire, England, William Jones was a Private at Rorke's Drift who was awarded the Victoria Cross. A private in the 2nd Battalion/24th Regiment of Foot in Natal, Jones was a member of the British defence force at Rorke's Drift. In the afternoon of January 22, 1879, a Zulu force attacked the small British supply outpost at Rorke's Drift. Defended by only 131 soldiers, of which 39 were in the hospital, against almost 4,000 Zulu warriors, the men held out against unceasing Zulu attacks throughout the evening and into the night. Private Jones along with another man, Pvt. Robert Jones defended one of the wards in the hospital to the last. Despite suffering four spear wounds and being shot once, Jones held off the Zulu's with his bayonet until six of the seven patients were removed from the burning hospital. Early the next morning, after heavy losses, the Zulu's withdrew. For their incredible bravery in the face of an overwhelming force, 11 men, including Pvt. Robert Jones and Pvt. William Jones, received the Victoria Cross. This was the largest amount of Victoria Crosses ever awarded for a single engagement. The defence of Rorke's Drift as you say Ade was the subject of the 1964 movie "Zulu". His grave can be seen in D section no 887. There are also two survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade buried here and a family that died aboard the Luisitania.
    It is only 15 miles from me, I will nip over next week and get some details.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Syeve

I have just read that Robert Jones shot himself in 1898 and William Jones died a pauper and was found wandering destitute in the streets of Manchester, having already pawned his Victoria Cross! They say it was Victorian Post combat Stress Disorder !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

kc1
    ?

Default Re: The Defenders of Rourkes Drift

On this subject one of the William'es, who was either in the hospital and retreated as per film zulu or hid himself in a wardrobe, honestly, at the entrance of the hospital which was subsequently over run by the zulu and had to remain there several hours expecting to be discovered, died early having had several years of delusions of being pursued by zulu both waking and asleep. Not surprising really.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3