Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Defending One's Self

Article about: i'm happy that you understand me :P People that ask opinions of other members need to understand that, that isn't everything. They have to look by themselves for more information in the iner

Default Defending One's Self

The feeling for the need to defend one's information they present is admirable however, it is only human nature to do so. I have found that it is not necessary as people are going to believe what the wish to believe. Should it be specifics about a badge or opinions of artifacts, collectors ask to hear the truth but when told and it is not what they wanted to hear get a bit annoyed. Having trod that path myself, unfortunately many times, It's simply "Tilting At Windmills". So, collect what you're happy with and do not worry about what othes say.

Default Re: Defending One's Self

i say Amen to that....

I don't get it.

I think what he's trying to say is 99% of the time, if you get alot of responses on your piece on a thread, and the consensus is it's a forgery. It usually is indeed a forgery. Some people are happy with good looking forgerys. Some just like having good copies of historical pieces. Others want nothing but the most pristine period aritifacts. To each his own. The main thing is, don't get mad if you list a picture of a medal your grandfather's brought back from the war, and several people tell you they think it's a fake.

Don't get upset and all warped about it. We are all here to help each other and search for the true history of our artifacts. Getting mad doesn't do any good. I must add, in my opinion, it's always better to give specific reasons why you think something is fake or questionable. O.K. I'll stop talking.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I think what he's trying to say is 99% of the time, if you get alot of responses on your piece on a thread, and the consensus is it's a forgery. It usually is indeed a forgery. Some people are happy with good looking forgerys. Some just like having good copies of historical pieces. Others want nothing but the most pristine period aritifacts. To each his own. The main thing is, don't get mad if you list a picture of a medal your grandfather's brought back from the war, and several people tell you they think it's a fake.

Don't get upset and all warped about it. We are all here to help each other and search for the true history of our artifacts. Getting mad doesn't do any good. I must add, in my opinion, it's always better to give specific reasons why you think something is fake or questionable. O.K. I'll stop talking.

Jay
    Good explaination Jay however, I would still want to emphasize one, probably the most important, point ... That being, that if you feel that what you have is correct in all respects and you are happy with it, then that is all that really matters.

It's nice to have other opinions however, in the majority of cases, that's all they are "opinions" and in a considerable number of the opinions the individuals may have less knowledge than you have making their contribution moot.

Most forget that when they enter a forum and place items before the membership that you should go into it with both barrels loaded and spare amunition in your back pocket.
    Last edited by Richard Kimmel; 04-22-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Quote by Richard Kimmel View Post
    The feeling for the need to defend one's information they present is admirable however, it is only human nature to do so. I have found that it is not necessary as people are going to believe what the wish to believe. Should it be specifics about a badge or opinions of artifacts, collectors ask to hear the truth but when told and it is not what they wanted to hear get a bit annoyed. Having trod that path myself, unfortunately many times, It's simply "Tilting At Windmills". So, collect what you're happy with and do not worry about what othes say.
    Yes Richard, you are correct.

I would agree with that statement.

Reminds me of a certain pilots badge with diamonds

A lot of this nonsense would be non-existent if collectors would actually READ for themselves; very few people read any more. If it can't be found on page one or two of a Google search, then other avenues of research are not explored. It is very easy to sit back and be lazy, rely on others hard work and then lay blame at the feet of those who offer their opinions when requested. I find this to be especially true amongst the "buy first, ask later" crowd.

If you want to buy blind, waste money and then get angry at others because they tell you the item is bad, then that is a personal problem, and not one that is to be placed upon the shoulders of those generous enough to try to help.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Yes Richard, you are correct.

I would agree with that statement.

Reminds me of a certain pilots badge with diamonds
    Absolutely .... Those that misinterpret always seem to gravitate toward comparing it to a badge that it is not, nor was the purpose that was believed it to be for by several respected individuals. But again, discussion of this badge is moot as I believe what it is and that is all that matters.

i agree wholeheartdly with both Richard Kimmel and Steven M, i am amazed that many collectors own little or no refrence material, i know that they cost good money that many believe is better spent on actual artifacts, but believe me, it is money well spent and a good library will pay you back dividends in the future.

Jay ... I like your avatar - Stalingrad Cross. Over many years I have had personal contact with Generalleutnant Carl Rodenburg who was the Commander of the 76th Infantry Division of the Sixth Armee at Stalingrad. I have many letters and other documents, including photographs given to me by him, up until his passing. He lived in Lubeck, the same town from which my family came from (mother's side). Last contact I had was with his daughter who had sent me a copy of his death notice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast