Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Defending One's Self

Article about: i'm happy that you understand me :P People that ask opinions of other members need to understand that, that isn't everything. They have to look by themselves for more information in the iner

Default Re: Defending One's Self

i'm happy that you understand me :P
    People that ask opinions of other members need to understand that, that isn't everything. They have to look by themselves for more information in the inernet, books or else.
    Some people are to short-minded..

cheers mate,

Dugor53
    ?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    "Experts" are part of the problem as well as are the people that put these individuals on a pedestal and take everything they say as gospel. A perfect example of this is a very well known on line dealer in Germany who has a following that says "If it came from XXXXXX, then it must be good" - that is a flawed mentality and lends itself to further discourage individual research. That is not to say that he doesn't know quite a bit about what he sells, but even he does not know everything and is subject to making mistakes.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as an expert, as that indicates that the person has seen it ALL and knows EVERYTHING. That is nonsense, and I shy away from any one who proclaims to be such. There are no experts, only well-read individuals who are highly knowledgeable in a particular area.
    I disagree with your statement "there is no such thing as an expert". The definition of "expert" in Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary states: "a person who has special skill or knowledge in a particular field"; "trained by practice". Here's the definition of "expertise" in the same dicitionary: "expert skill or knowledge"; "a written opinion by an expert, as concerning the authenticity or value of a work of art, manuscript, etc".

I ask you this. Are there "expert" doctors? How about "expert" scientists? Have they "seen it all"? I say no they haven't but they are experts according to the dictionary, correct?

In my opinion and according to the dictionary, the last sentence in your post is incorrect. Quote: "There are no experts, only well-read individuals who are highly knowledgeable in a particular area".

Through all of history and up to present times "experts" have been wrong about many things. However, most of the time, true experts get it right and their opinions are very accurate regarding the truth for any given topic.

I think what was trying to be said is that EXPERTS are people usually fully understanding of a subject because all the evidence / facts are there to be learnt & have been, so they are an expert in that field.... Whilst here in the collecting paternity that we are in, EXPERTS do not have all the information because alot of the learning tools do not exist or are yet to be found so alot of guess work is done using the available facts!
    Cheers
    Dan

Jan
    ?

I´m an expert in stoneage pottery in Finlland, I guess there´s one in every field of science. In fact I consider WW2 items and the originality as military history in general a true science!

Rgds Jan

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Yes Richard, you are correct.

I would agree with that statement.

Reminds me of a certain pilots badge with diamonds
    John hi,

I've just been going through old topics of mine and came across your response and your last comment. Thought you and other members may like to know that I just recently had the opportunity of selling the badge in question to a well known, but private collector, for 5M total (half cash/half trade) completing the deal.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5