Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do think you break even in this hobby?

Article about: Hi well I 've been collecting since 1978 and I reckon my collection has cost me the besty part of £?, or as I say to wife when a new piece turns up........ "blimey thats nearly 50p I've

Default Do think you break even in this hobby?

Ive been collecting ten years now and if I sold my collection I think I would break even on my collection but would not make much profit wise.
    It would be interesting hearing from other collectors etc.
    More fun that keeping it in the bank thats for sure.
    Rgds pete

Default Re: Do think you break even in this hobby?

It depends on what you bought, where you bought it and when you bought it IMO. Some items have gone up in value in the 10 year period you mention, but items bought a few years back when prices were at their highest might not bring a good return at this time. Common items are probably at a low ebb at the moment, but high end items are still doing well.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hey Pete, I have been collection for nearly two years, I tend to buy my items from private sources mostly below market value and I can honestly say that if i were to sell all my items to other collectors (not to dealers) that I could make between 25% - 40% profit on all my items as a whole. In the up incoming weeks I plan on making a spreadsheet of all my items with researched prices so i can get a more in-depth view of the value of my collection.
    Thanks, Glen.

I only buy from dealers, so if I sold my entire collection right now I would lose money. Although they are more expensive, I think dealers have the best quality stuff. I am really picky when it comes to condition, so for me, a dealer is the way to go. My collection may not provide me with much profit yet, but 10 years from now, when the near mint/mint stuff has become more scarce, I think my investment will have turned out to be a good decision. But that does not really matter because I will never sell it all. I am in this thing for the long haul.

Corey

I,m in the same boat two with keeping in this hobbie a longtime etc.
    I allways keep reciepts and and info on my items so when it goes come a time to sell it will hopefully up the price abit.
    70% of what I have in my collection is brought through dealers at their prices.
    What is avaiable here on the new zealand market is not much to get excited about.
    Rgds pete

Not really a fair question, when you consider it. Certainly, you can say on occasion that you have bought cheap and sold high, and so have made a considerable profit. But, when you factor in the Less obvious things-the Countless hours of time, hunting, searching, perusing shows, web sites, collections, newspaper ads and on and on-Then how do you reckon the final tally? Is your time worth Nothing? The endless miles put on walking about shows,stores,homes...the Driving to locations. The Postage spent. Even the Internet connection costs and electric bills to simply sit at the computer and surf and hunt. Let's admit it, if you're Into this hobby, then you spend Years of your life in pursuit of it. Just to Sell things takes considerable time as well, so even the ones who say that they collect Just for the sake of buying and selling for profit-they Still can't erase the time and effort expended.
    No, you really can't calculate profit/loss in this hobby. We all pretty much do it for the fascination and passion of the collecting of History. If you're hoping to find a hobby that's fun And will make you rich...well...best stick to stock market speculating!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I've been collecting about a year and a half now. My main collection is helmets, bought mostly from dealer's as I was not well educated on helmets to do it on my own. After much study and research, I am beginning to feel better about buying them on my own. As it looks now, money wise I might break just about even. I feel I have made some good investments, and perhaps some bad investments in certain pieces, but hey, I think we all do that from time to time. I try not to spend more than I should on any items, but if you want it bad enough you end up shelling out the cash. I hope to be in this for the long haul, so I am not too concerned about what most of my items would resell for. I am very interested to see where this market goes, especially helmets, with the turbulent times in the world economy. This hobby is a luxury, and subject to market ups and downs. Some values, hence sale prices, are coming down, and some are pretty steady. I've notices some helmets in particular have been sitting on dealer sites for several weeks or months before price reductions come along and then they maybe sell. Could be a sign of the times.

Good points by all thankyou.
    I get worried somtimes by how much value is in my mancave/office.
    I also constanley lie to my gf about how much Ive poured into my hobbie......hun this black handel knife with a ss on the handle looks nasty .....does it cost much.....no dear......$50.00 lol
    Haha

?

Personally, I never considered any chance of selling anything I bought for what I had paid originally. Colleague Wagriff summarized it best above. Given the investment of time, energy, and treasure I stand little chance as a collector of making any type of return. Factor in a few bad calls and this becomes an impossibility. It's all for fun and for the sake of learning about and holding a piece of history. Collecting these things can be a bit like gambling, just don't bet more than you are willing to lose or place your faith in the hobby as a source of retirement money.

CMH

Quote by Kiwipete View Post
    I also constanley lie to my gf about how much Ive poured into my hobbie......hun this black handel knife with a ss on the handle looks nasty .....does it cost much.....no dear......$50.00 lol
    Haha
    I know exactly what you mean. Every time a non-collector sees my collection the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "how much did this cost?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast