Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Do you support your liner?

Article about: Hi, I have read from a guide on the Kaiser's Bunker website that the mere weight of the liner is enough to eventually damage it. The website suggested cutting a piece of foam to support the

?

Default Do you support your liner?

Hi,

I have read from a guide on the Kaiser's Bunker website that the mere weight of the liner is enough to eventually damage it. The website suggested cutting a piece of foam to support the liner and prevent damage.

Is it actually being done? It seems to me that this would be pretty hard to do since making it just a bit smaller wouldn't do anything but prevent ventilation, and making it just a bit too tall would actually apply additionnal stress to the liner thus damaging it further.

The article can be found by clicking here. Since it seems impossible to directly link to the correct page (which can be found under the Display menu), here is a screenshot of it :

Capture.PNG

Is it really worth it? Do you guys actually do it?

Thanks.

I have one WWII German helmet that has a liner falling apart. It's a mail home helmet with label affixed to the top, so I am doing my best to keep it in one piece. I use two balled up plastic bags and lightly place them inside the helmet to support the liner. I don't pack anything inside to create undue stress. Others may do differently. What he shows in that illustration looks fine to me.

?

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    I have one WWII German helmet that has a liner falling apart. It's a mail home helmet with label affixed to the top, so I am doing my best to keep it in one piece. I use two balled up plastic bags and lightly place them inside the helmet to support the liner. I don't pack anything inside to create undue stress. Others may do differently. What he shows in that illustration looks fine to me.
    Thank you for the reply!

How were you able to accurately shape the balls so that they do not apply stress to the liner while still supporting it just fine?

I balled up the plastic bags so they were firm enough to support the liner without falling in on themselves, but not making it so hard that it put stress on the liner. The liner naturally falls onto the bags, the bags dont push up on the liner.

MAP
    ?

I have a similar M16 and M18. I've balled up newspaper to put inside. Same theory as MD.

However I'm liking MD's plastic bag approach. Was always slightly worried that the newpaper overtime might damage the liners further.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Plastic bags for me on my 1917 helmets. They are displayed on table top plate stands and the liner sags at an angle. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

I will try and go for the piece of foam approach by the website mentionned in my first post. I will also cover it with acid-free fabric (muslin) as suggested.

I am so used to seeing the liner upside down and therefore fully expanded that I somehow did not realize that it would naturally fall on anything supporting it.

Both balled up plastic bags and newspapers probably do the job just fine, but I've read that the liner must still be exposed to air, otherwise it can lead to mould on the leather. I was therefore thinking that I could cut a piece of foam in a shape that's narrow in the middle, where it doesn't support anything, to allow the circulation of air.

MAP
    ?

That is the reason for the paper or plastic balled up IMHO. There is very little contact. Think of it as those old Thomas's English muffin TV ad's (well at least here on the east coast of the US) with all those nooks and crannies.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)