Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Dosimeter for free!!

Article about: Hi there,i used to be in the ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS and we used dosimeters to measure personal exposure to radiation whilst outside of the bunker changing the photographic papers in the Ground

Default Re: Dosimeter for free!!

Hi there,i used to be in the ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS and we used dosimeters to measure personal exposure to radiation whilst outside of the bunker changing the photographic papers in the Ground zero indicator drum.The design of ours were like a pen,and you looked through an eye peice at the end to see the exposure reading. Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I didn't even know we had an ROC??..lol Sounds like a nice job to have...being exposed to those rads!!Thanks for the input very interestring.. Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    I didn't even know we had an ROC??..lol Sounds like a nice job to have...being exposed to those rads!!Thanks for the input very interestring.. Cheers Terry.
    Hi Terry, we don't anymore,the Corps were stood down in september 1991 and the RAF took over all our nuclear monitoring duties.It was an easy transfer as we worked pretty closely with the RAF anyway,our uniforms were the same except for the insignia! Leon.

?

So you joined the RAF after the transfer Leon?? Sounds cool....Like I said I didn't know we had them!!! But I only joined in 1987 so I was still trying find my way around the Army then...Have you a picture of their cap badge out of interest??? Thanks very much Terry.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi there,i used to be in the ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS and we used dosimeters to measure personal exposure to radiation whilst outside of the bunker changing the photographic papers in the Ground zero indicator drum.The design of ours were like a pen,and you looked through an eye peice at the end to see the exposure reading. Leon.
    ive got one of these pens somewhere in my collection ,i just cant put my hand to it ,if i remember the reading was highlighted by thin black vertical lines just like in your referance picture illuminated by natural light i think
    Regards James

Interesting seeing the different variations. I personally think the one that Leon is describing is better as you could actually see the radiation exposure. The other one, i personally think has little use at the time because you would get a reading when it was too late.

Vicky

Quote by Tango View Post
    So you joined the RAF after the transfer Leon?? Sounds cool....Like I said I didn't know we had them!!! But I only joined in 1987 so I was still trying find my way around the Army then...Have you a picture of their cap badge out of interest??? Thanks very much Terry.
    Hi Terry,here's a picture of the cap badge,i will try and photograph my old uniform for you tomorrow,it,s a pretty plain RAF blues job,if i ever had to go to smaller "post bunkers" i had the standard military green boiler suit with our own ROC unit breast badge,instead of a squadron patch. Leon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3