Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Enquiry on ww2

Article about: Perhaps people once said the exact same thing about the Boer war? The war of 1870? The Napoleon wars? Or in my country the war of 1848-50 and 1864? or even Caesars conquest of Gaul? Time pas

Default Re: Enquiry on ww2

Perhaps people once said the exact same thing about the Boer war? The war of 1870? The Napoleon wars? Or in my country the war of 1848-50 and 1864? or even Caesars conquest of Gaul? Time passes, and I think that if you asked similar questions about WWI there would be an even smaller number of people that knew anything at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is dreadful that such things are lost in time.
    Personally I think it has something to with that I study history at a "professional" level (well nearly there, still studying) at university, that I find it appalling that large parts of the population is living in ignorance about the deeds of our forefathers.

However, it cannot be helped. I think it is natural. Humans in general tend to concentrate more about the things in life that matters right now and less about the history that made their current way of life possible. Many people find it odd that we value these things so much, and collect the relics of a bygone age and read kilometres of pages about the subject. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. We could put an emphasis on WWII in our educational systems (more so than today) but I don't think it would help much.

I think we especially find the collective memory-loss about WWII appalling, since it is the last great conflict (well hopefully the last) in western Europe, and because of Hitler - Nazism - Endlösung. However Hitler was certainly not the first, and he will sadly not be the last to try to "cleans" the lands of so called enemies.
    But why should Hitler and the war he began take precedence? Because he is closest to our own time?
    I have no final answer for that question. Personally I find all history equally important. Each "story" in their own way.
    History is many things. Most people tend to think that history has to be about great men and even greater deeds. But that way the smaller parts in the course of human history are lost. And that I find, is equally saddening.

I have made my peace with the collective memory-loss.
    As long as there is at least one person remembering the deeds of our forefathers they have not lived in vain.

JMM
    ?

Just curious: what exactly is included in kids school program about WWII, in the different countries, today?

JMM
    ?

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    ...when she explained she was a survivor he said something along the lines of what's the holocaust?
    NO comments!!

Quote by Larry C View Post
    History being forgotten??......you can thank the present day society of weak minded people and teachers who all lean to the left. Im trying to bite my tongue.
    But it is Larry.
    And the modern society is to blame, no doubt about.
    Right now is all about who has the better ipad or the funkiest shoes....

But that is why we all need to do our part, not just as collectors but also as history preservers.
    That is my fight and my main target are the young ones because they are the ones who will continue our work( i hope ).
    I think we all need to create events, public discussions, lectures, shows, etc...

If we try, maybe we can make a point.

Quote by JMM View Post
    Just curious: what exactly is included in kids school program about WWII, in the different countries, today?
    In Denmark::
    During your time of compulsory education (pre-school, primary school, and lower secondary education = 9 grades / years total ) history (world history and Danish history) is on the program from day one. I remember that I was taught about WWII in 7th grade.
    (From 1st to 7th you span from neolithic "stone age" to 1940 and from 7th - 9th 1940 to current date)
    You get a primary rundown of things. Who was the leaders, what was the main causes, greatest battles etc. - "why, who, when and where of WWII."
    Holocaust is just one of many subject you talk about when discussing WWII. A special emphasis is put on our own country, Denmark.
    Although if you are interested in history as I were from an early age, nothing new is on the program. It is very basic black and white presentation of everything. I cannot remember if I were taught anything about specific fates from the Holocaus (Anne Frank). Don't think so.

In high school (Gymnasiet - duration 3 years) you sort of begin from the beginning again. For many that is actually necessary since many did not listen very carefully to what was said in the 9-10 years prior to getting admission to high school. In high school history is a more indepth study of the different greater conflicts. You sort of "zoom in" on things that shaped the world today. Naturally WWII is a huge part of that, and a lot of emphasis is put on this conflict and the Cold War.

But if you don't want to, you don't have to go to high school. For many, their only contact with history was the rudimentary run down of the human history from neolithic times to current day they were given from 1st to 9th grade.

Quote by bsiwula1 View Post
    I m dying to know what you d say with the gloves off Larry? You do have the je ne sais quois sense of humor I enjoy! And I could use a pick me up. But think of the generations of young Americans who's limited knowledge/exposure to the TR and WW2 history that comes from episodes of Family Guy?? Scarry RIGHT, Something tells me I'm never gonna see a social security check!
    There was a thread to which I forget as i went on a liberal bashing tangent which was a gloves off approach.....but not to get away from this thread...it almost feels like those who are on all military forums now are the last outpost in preserving history. I am quite honored that there are younger guys on this forum and throughout all forums who some do take this seriously,,that history can not be forgottten. It is up to us to teach the younger people and the newer collectors.........as far as a S.S. Check..that will be obsolete and that money taken out never seen again.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2