MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Facebook friends!

Article about: Hey all! Since i love this place very much (and by this place i mean the members) i thought why not start a thread about us getting to know each other via facebook where we can see each othe

Default Re: Facebook friends!

As someone who has a background in creating very large and detailed pictures from tiny and seemingly insignificant pieces of information, I come down on the FB thing with HPL2008.

Frankly, as potentially damaging as I think FB could be to a person, no one honestly knows where it is going and what it will become with respect to how data on you might be used either intentionally or unintentionally.

articles like this one discuss how easily, in the modern world, sites like FB can become more dangerous than people think for reasons that seem harmless to someone not overly concerned with their own personal security.

Social Security Numbers Deduced From Public Data | Wired Science | Wired.com

the bottom line is that if your FB profile shows your state of birth (this can be guessed by ratios involving your friends' states of residence and other info even if it does not), date of birth (FB will alert friends to this as the day comes round for many of you, and name, your identity is at risk.

at NSA we considered any pair of facts about anyone which could be linked to be very valuable and could usually go very far from there in acquiring a third, fourth, fifth until huge files were created. in other words, your name and address seen together or your name and age or your name and birth date or your name and the high school you graduated from are all enough to create a much larger and more invasive picture.

i shred anything which has two facts about me in one place. and i can tell you, i burn through shredders.

if i knew your name and your pet's name, for example, i could get your address and credit card information theoretically. and from there, infinitely more.

i don't suggest you need to worry about your pet's name being compromised because criminals aren't going to have the technology and techniques that would be required here, but the fact is as the world progresses, things reserved for the few (that you can trust) often end up in the hands of the many (which you cannot trust).

if you want to be on facebook, misspell your name and provide incorrect information or none at all. in addition to that, besides your real friends, seek out and acquire random ones from other parts of the world that you do not know. watch what you post, and you should be a hard target.

FB is just a bigger set of eyes to Big Brother Watching. Watch what you post as it has been proven that everyone is connected in someway to the 7th person. Watch out for the MIB...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

yep. those are the guys right there.

The only things that are private are what you keep in your head. Scares the bejesus out of me. What do
    You expect from a government that taxes you when you die and taxes the estate you leave behind

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    As someone who has a background in creating very large and detailed pictures from tiny and seemingly insignificant pieces of information, I come down on the FB thing with HPL2008.

Frankly, as potentially damaging as I think FB could be to a person, no one honestly knows where it is going and what it will become with respect to how data on you might be used either intentionally or unintentionally.

articles like this one discuss how easily, in the modern world, sites like FB can become more dangerous than people think for reasons that seem harmless to someone not overly concerned with their own personal security.

Social Security Numbers Deduced From Public Data | Wired Science | Wired.com

the bottom line is that if your FB profile shows your state of birth (this can be guessed by ratios involving your friends' states of residence and other info even if it does not), date of birth (FB will alert friends to this as the day comes round for many of you, and name, your identity is at risk.

at NSA we considered any pair of facts about anyone which could be linked to be very valuable and could usually go very far from there in acquiring a third, fourth, fifth until huge files were created. in other words, your name and address seen together or your name and age or your name and birth date or your name and the high school you graduated from are all enough to create a much larger and more invasive picture.

i shred anything which has two facts about me in one place. and i can tell you, i burn through shredders.
    Hah! Imagine if you lived in Denmark, as I do.
    Were everyone is issued a social security number (CPR number - look it up) that begins with your date of birth (day/month/last two digits of the year + four "random" numbers "ddmmyy-xxxx" ).
    The state need only your name (not even the whole name) and the date of birth, and your entire profile pops op a nano second later.
    You use the same number for everything: Passport, the doctor, the hospital, drivers license, bank business (loans etc), schools, university, un-employment, criminal record, where you live and with whom, weapons licences, taxes etc. The list is endless, and you cannot run, you cannot hide. Are you moving address? Fine, we need you to register. Do you move outside the country? please register. Are you moving in with someone? please register.
    That is the downside when you live in a society like mine, where everything is paid for by our astronomical taxes. Consider yourself lucky that you at least can hide somewhat in the US and the UK and stay anonymous. They have even been talking about registering every newborn child's DNA in Denmark. The law haven't passed let alone been made into a proposition yet, but it is just a matter of time. For our own "safety" as we are told.

I love my country. But that is not the same as trusting the people that run it with every detail about my life.

try using supermarket discount cards..at check out..some people think that its saving money on food..but all that information of what you buy is going somewhere.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Personally, I've got no prob's with FB, but then again I'm not on it very often. Also, I'm a member of that many groups on it, it's unbelievable, (WRF, various m/bike groups, various military interest, school and military modelling groups etc)

Anyone interested, ping me a line through FB.

Username is Ian Dunn. Andover, Hampshire. Main profile pic is of the wife and me on our red GoldWing. (There are quite a few Ian Dunn's listed!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I join the Facebook page. Megan Robertson, add me if you like

?

Also with me, if you would like to add me on FB PM me.
    Ryan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast