Kellys Heroes
    The big red one
    The longest day

Hogans Heroes.....

Regards Mark K

KSH
    ?

Default Re: Favorite & Worst WW Movies/Mini-series/Documentary

Well, I would just like to add one film suggestion to this thread and that is: "Stauffenberg", a German film produced in 2004 portraying much the same events as shown in the horrendously awful movie starring Tom Cruise, Valkyrie. It is by no means a perfect film - in fact it has several weak spots and inaccuracies but it is in my opinion the best portrayal on film regarding the assassination attempt on Hitler in 20th of July, 1944 - and it is definitely a better film than many others mentioned above as I see it. I have never seen a film to do with the Great War or the Second World War that I was fully satisfied with - entertainment always wins over facts.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

band of brothers
    saving private ryan
    blitz street
    ice cold in alex
    above us the waves
    kellys heros
    dam busters
    valkari
    where eagles dare
    the eagle has landed
    the great escape

all great films/ series/ docs

battle of the bulge
    wind talkers

must be the worst

It's easiest for me to just name the ones I don't like, in no particular order, so here goes....

ESCAPE TO VICTORY- Sylvester Stallone saves the day, Michael Caine admitted he needed the money.

WIND TALKERS- Damned from the start by having Nicholas Cage as the lead killing Japs at 400 metres firing a Thompson with one hand whilst dragging a moaning 'native american' around with the other. Toss.

ESCAPE FROM ATHENA- David, what were you thinking??

PEARL HARBOR- A love story with a bit of fighting in it. Ben Affleck couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Utter crap.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC- Julie Andrews and a bunch of kids singing, no battles, explosions, derring do or other warlike stuff. Pants.

ANYTHING WITH MEL GIBSON IN IT- Brit bashing anti semite scumbag. I could almost forgive him 'Gallipoli' if it wasn't for him insisting the script be changed to a British officer ordering the fatal charge. In truth it was an Australian officer.

U-571- Pure Hollywood fantasy as usual. By the time the Americans captured Enigma, the Germans were giving them away if you bought 10 litres of petrol. And John Bon Jovi, what's all that about?? Pump.

I am now taking cover....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post

pearl harbor- a love story with a bit of fighting in it. Ben affleck couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Utter crap.

The sound of music- julie andrews and a bunch of kids singing, no battles, explosions, derring do or other warlike stuff. Pants.

I am now taking cover....
    lol
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

ESCAPE TO VICTORY- Sylvester Stallone saves the day, Michael Caine admitted he needed the money.
    Indeed. I may be a bit biased against the movie, though, as I don't care about soccer anyway. There it is; I said it... Yes, I am a German male who is not into soccer. Go figure.

WIND TALKERS- Damned from the start by having Nicholas Cage as the lead killing Japs at 400 metres firing a Thompson with one hand whilst dragging a moaning 'native american' around with the other. Toss.
    So far, I have successfully avoided seeing this one... And your post does not give me the urgent wish to change that.

ESCAPE FROM ATHENA- David, what were you thinking??
    Produced by Sir Lew Grade, not-so-affectionately known among movie fans as Sir Low Grade.
    Had really cool, funky, space-age uniforms for the German rocket troops, though!

PEARL HARBOR- A love story with a bit of fighting in it. Ben Affleck couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Utter crap.
    Was shown in our local cinemas with an intermission just before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor commenced. I should have saved myself the "chick flick" first half of the movie and turned up during the intermission.
    And left before the final scene.
    And had a few well-timed bathroom breaks inbetween, to avoid all the bits that didn't have explosions.
    Oh, and I have posted this link in another thread, but it's worth repeating: Pearl Harbor Sucked and I Miss You - YouTube

THE SOUND OF MUSIC- Julie Andrews and a bunch of kids singing, no battles, explosions, derring do or other warlike stuff. Pants.
    Another movie that I have successfully avoided seeing. Nothing will make me want to change that.

ANYTHING WITH MEL GIBSON IN IT- Brit bashing anti semite scumbag. I could almost forgive him 'Gallipoli' if it wasn't for him insisting the script be changed to a British officer ordering the fatal charge. In truth it was an Australian officer.
    He should have stuck to making "Mad Max" movies.
    Turned into Mad Mel instead.

U-571- Pure Hollywood fantasy as usual. By the time the Americans captured Enigma, the Germans were giving them away if you bought 10 litres of petrol. And John Bon Jovi, what's all that about?? Pump.
    What? Are you saying that U-571 was not historically accurate?
    Made me groan out loud during that climactic use-the-Force kind of torpedo hit at the end.

Best-in no particular order:
    Kelly's Heroes
    Bridge over the River Kwai
    The Great Escape
    The Eagle has Landed
    The Dirty Dozen
    Das Boot
    The Guns of Navarone
    The World at War(series)
    World War 2 in Color(series)
    Victory at Sea(series)
    War in the Pacific(series)

Worst:
    The Boys from Brazil
    Inglurious Bastards

Questionable:
    Combat!(series)
    The Desert Rats(series)
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-09-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

W, some of those I didn´t even think of... silly, silly me
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Likes, not in order, just as I think of them:

Stalingrad, Das boot, Went the day well, where eagles dare, eagle has landed, the wooden horse, dambusters, saving private ryan, battle of britain, longest day, bridge too far, ice cold in alex, the desert fox, the desert rats, dunkirk, charge of the light brigade, zulu, waterloo, henry v, outlaw josey wales, schindlers list, cross of iron, kelly's heroes, downfall, I was monty's double, the man who never was, band of brothers, the pianist, world at war, ww1 in colour, ww2 in colour. There are more, just too many to list.

Dislikes:
    U571, what a pile of inaccurate garbage. (sorry Chris)
    The most recent Robin Hood movie, what utter shite. I know, this does not count, it's just that it was so poor I had to mention it somewhere.

Probably more, but I have blanked them from my memory
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Likes, not in order, just as I think of them:

Stalingrad, Das boot, Went the day well, where eagles dare, eagle has landed, the wooden horse, dambusters, saving private ryan, battle of britain, longest day, bridge too far, ice cold in alex, the desert fox, the desert rats, dunkirk, charge of the light brigade, zulu, waterloo, henry v, outlaw josey wales, schindlers list, cross of iron, kelly's heroes, downfall, I was monty's double, the man who never was, band of brothers, the pianist, world at war, ww1 in colour, ww2 in colour. There are more, just too many to list.

Dislikes:
    U571, what a pile of inaccurate garbage. (sorry Chris)
    The most recent Robin Hood movie, what utter shite. I know, this does not count, it's just that it was so poor I had to mention it somewhere.

Probably more, but I have blanked them from my memory
    Whow, long list!!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast