Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Feedback regarding todays militaria prices.

Article about: Rising prices are to be expected in any normal economy. We don't like them, but like them or not, they are reality. Like most of you I try to stay away from dealers, but once in a while the

me I am horrified at the prices being asked for original and replica.

?

I'd have to agree that the prices being asked are a little outrageous. I know that in the end an item's value is based on what someone is willing to pay and what someone is willing to accept but sometimes it gets out of hand. But so long as people pay the prices people are asking they will continue to rise.

The demand for high quality original pieces will stay constant in my opinion. People will pay some type of premium for quality pieces. I will pay a little more for something of superior quality. I do think some prices are getting out of hand for average items. On these types of average items I believe there will be some type of price correction in the future. I'm not saying a huge drop in prices, but a slight one.

The Internet makes research and international price comparisons child's play nowadays! Unless it's an uber-rare piece, chances are good that I'll find it cheaper on a German Militaria Site or even EbayGermany...I can't afford ridiculous dealer prices, so I spend hours hunting online and researching to find the best deal possible...even if I lose out on a good deal, I am now armed with knowledge when the next good thing comes along, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

- - ------- - -

?

I dont buy so much anymore. This is because the price of the items is higher then what i feel they are worth.
    The hobby is to expencive and this is making me more selectable before i buy anything, in the old days i got helmets for 80us with decals- then came internet along and the happy days where over within a couple of years.

At least i can remember when the stuff was around for almost nothing..

?

I don't see how young people are going to be able to get into this hobby without wealthy parents or inheriting a collection. Kids and young people find my collection fascinating, but would never be able to spend the money required to have one of their own.

Jim

I just want to provide a recent example of knowledge being more important than money...Here is a WWI German Veteran's Benefit Paybook. At first glance perhaps a $15 item, BUT I noticed the signature of vonSeeckt and knew this was a great score, while others had no idea who the man was...A dealer would probably sell this for $200 or more...I paid under 20 Euros. Not bragging here, friends...just trying to show you how knowledge is my key to successful collecting, not money...!
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 02-25-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I just want to provide an example of knowledge being more important than money...Here is a WWI German Veteran's Benefit Paybook. At first glance perhaps a $15 item, BUT I noticed the signature of VonSeeckt and knew this was a great score, while others had no idea who the man was...A dealer would probably sell this for $200 or more...I paid under 20 Euros. Not bragging here, friends...just trying to show you how knowledge is my key to successful collecting, not money...!
    cheers, Glenn
    Great find Glenn!...

Yes, things in Australia also seemed cheaper in the 1980's - you could get a leather flying helmet for $5.00 and a tommy helmet for $2.00 but an SS zeltbahn was pulling $280-$300 and THAT was my whole weeks wages!!! My original M35 DD helmet cost me $450 and I worried about what I had done, spending SO much ( it was sold in the 1990's for double that )

For sure the internet has driven prices - in Australia we were isolated for years and our exposure was via auction houses like Manions and gun shows but what I am really saying is that proportional to salary, some has rocketed up but much is still the same as it was .....

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I envy those of you who had a chance to exploit the low prices of many years ago. By the time I was born the internet was starting to become a norm and the prices were already going up. Still, I would probably make a fair profit if I got an M40 SD for my first birthday (along with some apple stocks perhaps). Its really a shame that things cost so much now, but thats supply and demand for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast