Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Feedback regarding todays militaria prices.

Article about: Rising prices are to be expected in any normal economy. We don't like them, but like them or not, they are reality. Like most of you I try to stay away from dealers, but once in a while the

Rising prices are to be expected in any normal economy. We don't like them, but like them or not, they are reality. Like most of you I try to stay away from dealers, but once in a while the item I want is only available from a dealer and then it is a matter of shopping around and knowing as best you can who is reputable and who isn't. The Forum is a very valuable asset in that respect. It also is important to know what the going market price-range is for the items one collects, which is another advantage the Forum offers.

I collect U-Deutschland artifacts, that is items that have been made from metal taken from the boat's cast iron ballast or from the several metals that were taken when she was converted to a show boat in 1919 and scrapped in 1921-22. When I got into this hobby in 1988, the artifacts were already pricy by any standard, but today they are mega pricy. In part the high prices result from the fact that the artifacts are very rare and becoming rarer. The reality of the situation--high prices and limited availability--mean that my collection is relatively small. Still, I occasionally find a bargain. But if something comes along that I do not already have, is in decent shape, and unquestionably genuine, I will pay what I have to shell out to get it, unless the seller has completely lost his mind and placed a ridiculously high price on it. For example, there is a Deutschland cross currently on Ebay that the seller is asking $225 for, and even if I did not already have one, I would not buy this example because it is in terrible condition and vastly over-priced.

The bottom line is that we can all continue to pursue our hobby, but will probably have to do so more selectively and at a more careful pace. Dwight

I can see the trouble collecting German Militaria in Australia. Geography and the fact that Aussies more often faced the Japanese than the Germans, meaning few war-souvenirs brought home...But I assume that Japanese Militaria would be more available in Australia, or am I perhaps mistaken?
    To my fellow friends and collectors I say be encouraged that you're involved in a thriving and challenging historical field...
    cheers, Glenn

I buy items from the bay at good prices, or I get outbid in which case I bid when next I see one again.

A lot of what I buy is picked up from country antique centers/shops and like most of these places some of their items are overpriced and others are cheap, swings and roundabouts really and part of the fun is scouring them for the good buys and passing on the overpriced items. Luckily for me a lot of what interests me is still to be found in the areas I live, Welsh items in Wales, works out well a lot of the time.

I see German items, but these days they no longer interest me and apart from a cursory glance I leave them for those who collect them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I can see the trouble collecting German Militaria in Australia. Geography and the fact that Aussies more often faced the Japanese than the Germans, meaning few war-souvenirs brought home...But I assume that Japanese Militaria would be more available in Australia, or am I perhaps mistaken?
    cheers, Glenn
    Maybe a helmet or sword came back Glenn but much was just left in the tropics and it deteriorated. That and Jap stuff was utilitarian in nature and plain. Also the treatment of captured troops ( Changhi, Burma railway etc.. ) left a bad taste and no-one I knew would touch the stuff even back in the 1980's. Many families ( mine included ) had a member die or left scarred by the Japanese and it would have been in the poorest taste to collect their war detritus.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for clarifying the situation for us, Dan...!
    I'm currently on a WWI German and Austro-Hungarian Militaria hunt as I'm dedicating an entire shelf of my curio-cabinet to WWI...I'm finding excellent deals on EbayGermany as well...I expect prices to rise noticeably for WWI items, and I suggest broadening your horizons into WWI militaria perhaps with an eye towards making a small profit later...Plenty of good deals to be had for those who do their homework!
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 02-25-2014 at 06:22 PM.

If there's one thing I've learned in 40 years of militaria collecting it's that knowledge often trumps money...I've scored many a rare piece because I was the only person to recognize what it was...My fluency in German has proven itself a decisive advantage throughout my collecting as well as you can surely imagine...
    I've never been a wealthy man and have no choice but to rely on my knowledge of the subject and of the market...my "nose" so to speak...you just can't buy that.
    I wish all continued good fortune in our shared collecting endeavor!
    cheers, Glenn
    Well said. I associate myself with the above. Those who treat this issue solely as a question of dollars and cents are somehow missing the point, I think.
    My collection arises from my deep interest in modern Germany, total war, the world of my ancestors, and my profession.
    Not everyone can afford to buy certain things, or would apportion their treasure towards foetid woolens.
    Mr. MacGlenn's point about knowledge is spot on and worthy of emulation.

I'm currently on a WWI German and Austro-Hungarian Militaria hunt as I'm dedicating an entire shelf of my curio-cabinet to WWI...I'm finding excellent deals on EbayGermany as well...I expect prices to rise noticeably for WWI items, and I suggest broadening your horizons into WWI militaria perhaps with an eye towards making a profit later...Plenty of good deals to be had for those who do their homework!
    cheers, Glenn

You show excellent taste. Send me a note, as I have a collector colleague who is well stocked in the central powers. And, it being the centenary of the 1914-1918 war, your choice reflects great wisdom.

I'm currently on a WWI German and Austro-Hungarian Militaria hunt as I'm dedicating an entire shelf of my curio-cabinet to WWI...I'm finding excellent deals on EbayGermany as well...I expect prices to rise noticeably for WWI items, and I suggest broadening your horizons into WWI militaria perhaps with an eye towards making a profit later...Plenty of good deals to be had for those who do their homework!
    cheers, Glenn
    Hi Glenn,

I have been buying mostly WWI Welsh and/or British items for the last 6 months or more, still a lot of it can be found for far less than the equivalent WWII versions and one other advantage is that much of it can be researched far easier than the later examples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I just want to provide a recent example of knowledge being more important than money...Here is a WWI German Veteran's Benefit Paybook. At first glance perhaps a $15 item, BUT I noticed the signature of VonSeeckt and knew this was a great score, while others had no idea who the man was...A dealer would probably sell this for $200 or more...I paid under 20 Euros. Not bragging here, friends...just trying to show you how knowledge is my key to successful collecting, not money...!
    cheers, Glenn
    A superb purchase and one of highly refined skill.

Thank you for clarifying the situation for us, Dan...!
    cheers, Glenn
    I know that feel. I have been stocking up on WWI stuff too. I haven't got anything too fantastic. Also furthering the point that there is still good stuff to be found, I got a small grouping of Canadian WWI militaria from an old lady whos grandpa had fought in that war. She said that her children and grand children didn't want it so I could have it free of charge. This just shows that if you have the right connections, good stuff will find you!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast