MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Film critics are full of sh!t

Article about: I watched this last night DVD Review - Dawn of Evil: Rise of the Reich (2009) | Flickering Myth a very strange but often funny film about Hitler living in a doss house in Vienna.

Default Re: Film critics are full of sh!t

Dream on Mo.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Now that would be something !!!!

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    I may be controversial here, but I rather like Inglorious Basterds, I’ve watched it 7-8 times ha-ha
    As Glenn66 said, I feel it’s a good movie for a late night when a few beers have been flowing!

I think it must be difficult now to make a good war movie, when most of the areas have been covered in the past, plus times have changed now what with all the PC which seems to have crept into every part of modern day life
    Movies are made to make money. I think it must be hard to sell an idea with limited appeal for mass audiences. We are a minority. We are interested in depictions of war and the sacrifices made, and as collectors of militaria, we want them to be accurate.

Movies like Max Manus and 9th Company appeal to the patriotism or perhaps the sense of wanting to know more about one's own country's history. But then fail when shown abroad. I saw Max Manus - its good but only was shown in one theatre and had a very limited run here. That's why we get films like Inglorious Basterds, Kelly's Heroes or Battleship. You take out of them what you can (if you can) historically and enjoy them for what they are meant to be ...entertainment.

That said I do appreciate historically correct and sincere, serious war movies and wish there were more. But they are out there. Just hard to find sometimes.

Here's two movie recommendations. I can't really be sure how accurate they are as I'm not up on the times but they sure seem to be. Plus the subject matter gets little coverage by movie makers in the west.

Assembly (Chinese but you can get subtitles, amazing scenes of milsurps in battle, realistic as far as I know).

Nanjing, Nanjing (again Chinese with subtitles - not Nanking, Nanking the Hollywood version; though I hear its also supposed to be pretty good).

And for a very good docu-drama and a pretty good movie of the same name find Kokoda. The documentary was co produced by ABC in Australia and tells both sides of the little known battle for the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea, 1942.

There is (or was) a war film festival in the U.S.A. that had a web site. Is it still held? It showcased all sorts of war films from movies to documentaries. I first learned about When Trumpets Fade there. It seemed to be a vehicle for non Hollywood type movies to become known (and appreciated) and get distribution for wider audiences.
    Last edited by dastier; 10-07-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar errors.

?

Its funny, whenever i watch any movie about the german forces in ww2 i always think about this skit.

all the best,
    Stefan

Thanks Stefan! Excellent! I had never seen that one.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I dont know about you guys but I am looking forward to Panzer 88!!

Astonishing new concept art of Panzer 88's Nazi-fighting monster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks Stefan! Excellent! I had never seen that one.
    No problem Ade, there is always at least one stereotypical nazi in those movies.

All the best,
    Stefan

I am particular found of the Armoured Corps!

So... can anyone recommend realistic, evenly depicted (ie no Chaffees taking on Panthers in a slug fest), very good war movies featuring tank battles?

Any era or theatre. Not just tank vs infantry, but battles where opposing tanks get it on!

Also like to see slug fests between opposing navies but even in WW2 those were few and far between (yes I have Sink the Bismark) Would like to see a movie based on the Battle of Iron Bottom Sound and other USN vs IJN surface actions.

?

Yes that was outstanding Stefan!
    Thank you very Much!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Mike try "White Tiger" but it is in Russian but real T34/85's vs the best replica Tiger ever made:

Video - WhiteTiger

Cheers, Ade.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast