Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Film critics are full of sh!t

Article about: I watched this last night DVD Review - Dawn of Evil: Rise of the Reich (2009) | Flickering Myth a very strange but often funny film about Hitler living in a doss house in Vienna.

?

Default Re: Film critics are full of sh!t

The Battle of Britain is a good film. One of the best IMO from the days of 'real film'. No CGI, an all star cast, a good script and a decent portrayal of a historical event.

For interest, a Battle of Britain clapper board was featured on Antiques Roadshow last night and valued between £300-£500.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

A few years ago , Helen Fraser, the actress who played "Bodybags" in Bad Girls was telling me that her husband, who is a sound man, collected many full scripts from various films as he is a judge at the film festivals, one of the scripts was the full Battle of Britain, leather bound with the dates, times , schedules and cast calls, alterations by the Directors and DOP , now that would be a fortune, there must of been a few hundred pages of it

Battle of Britain is excellent and I never tire of watching it.

Only two things slightly spoiled it were the Spanish 'German' extras who looked Mediterranean and not Teutonic in those uniforms and the WAAF's with those 60's hairstyles and make up.

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 10-09-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I loved Battleship
    Nick
    You cant be serious Nick?! Battleship was HORRID!

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Battle of Britain is excellent and I never tire of watching it.

Only two things slightly spoiled it were the Spanish 'German' extras who looked Mediterranean and not Teutonic in those uniforms and the WAF's with those 60's hairstyles and make up.

Nick
    Another small spoiler were the Merlin powered Spanish HE111's and BF109'S.But they were real service airframes none the less.
    A great film."the last little corporal who attempted to invade England".
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    You cant be serious Nick?! Battleship was HORRID!
    Good fun, totally entertaining, great special effects, Rihanna looking hot...a very enjoyable alien movie

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Ok, ok, Battleship was quite enjoyable actualy. I didn't have high hopes for it anyway so the result was better than expected.

I think that's what it comes down to in a lot of cases, expectation, and why films like War Horse and Red Tails were such terrible let downs IMO. That and the fact that whenever I get that feeling in the first 5 minutes that they should have given me the millions of dollars budget instead, I know I'm going to be very disapointed.

Seems like in most cases, the smaller the budget, the better the War film these days. Kokoda and Beneath Hill 60 are both very good for example.
    Back in the day, they could make great big budget films like Paths of Glory and The Blue Max. I've watched both countless times and never get bored with them. Strangely, the same can't be said of a film like Saving Private Ryan. The first 20 minutes is remarkable film making and still blows me away like it did the first time but if it's on the telly, I'll turn it off after that because Spielberg just can't help slipping into cliches and sentimentality.

As for the Battle of Britain, on the basis of films (not just war films) that I've watched the most times and would still sit down and watch right now if it was on, it wins hands down.

?

Its not only the scenes in BOB, but the score as well, some truly amazing music throughout the whole film that brings it all together and adds to the excitement and tension, coupled with some of the finest actors in movie history, and you cant go wrong, with all that you can forgive the early technical CG/Animation and the aircraft that were used, it really pales into insignificance

Great thread guys.I've noticed there's a lot of the same films being mentioned is that because there the ones that only deserve mentioning?personally i think we change with the times.when we were little a hollywood all cast movie is what we enjoyed the most,regardless of historical accuracy,now we have all aged and got into collecting in one form or another we now look for the imperfections and the political correctness of the story.growing up i always enjoyed "WHERE EAGLES DARE""THE BIG RED ONE"but after all each to there own.for me "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN"will always be special because it was the benchmark of the new generation of war movies,as well as the film that really did inspire the world to remember the sacrifice given by our greatest generation.regards minnie.

ive just finished watching a nazi zombie film called outpost on dvd has anybody else heard of this low budget film before i believe number 2 is out now also

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast