Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

The film industry can't get it right.

Article about: by davesap250 If they make All quiet on the Western Front again I hope they do a proper job on it. I see Peter Jackson has put on hold the re-make of the Dambusters. Apparantly it has a \\$30,

Default Re: The film industry can't get it right.

I watched the Pacific, but only once, yet I continue to watch Band of Brothers. I liked it, but I don’t feel it had the depth of characters that BoB had. Also, with me being from Europe, I guess I can relate to it more. It did give me an insight into how horrendous the fighting against the Japanese was and how savage the Japanese soldiers were. I tend to overlook the war in the pacific. I was listening to a Radio programme on Radio 2 here in the UK a month or so ago, a couple of British Japanese POWs were recounting their treatment by the Japanese, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. One tends to think of the Waffen SS as being cruel at times, but compared to the Japanese they were girl guides it may seem!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I couldn't really get into it, i'll have to watch it again and give it another chance!..
    It's a little grittier and not as easy to follow as many guys as Band of Brothers but very entertaining. It's harder to find good, quality production WW2 movies these days (I don't know enough, yet, about the uniforms and equipment to speak to authenticity). I started watching Valkyrie on demand because it was free and it was a disappointment!

True, searching out the faults of Hollywood for us leaves little room to avoid becoming quite captious . . . and such discussion could prove endless I think. Some of my favorites have many shortcomings . . . often I have to remind myself to make room for error, and allow myself the ability to enjoy the time I devote to watching them. Fortunate for me, it's not all that difficult to do . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    True, searching out the faults of Hollywood for us leaves little room to avoid becoming quite captious . . . and such discussion could prove endless I think. Some of my favorites have many shortcomings . . . often I have to remind myself to make room for error, and allow myself the ability to enjoy the time I devote to watching them. Fortunate for me, it's not all that difficult to do . . .
    The reverse ( mirror ) SS decal's on the helmets did exist, i actually saw a documentary on Sky a while ago, Soviet Storm, there was black and white footage of an SS soldier with a reverse decal helmet

Cant remember the name of the film but its the story of how the Americans?? captured the Enigma machine from a uboat! I dont recall these brave men being american at all but what do i know,i wasnt there lol.(sorry to our friends across the pond on here but it really gets my goat when Hollywood seems to think USA won the war alone)

I'm in it for the entertainment value. If it's fun to watch and takes me
    out of my stress filled life for a couple hours, I can overlook a lot.

One of my favorite movies and probably the best car chase sceen
    ever filmed the Steve McQueen movie "Bullit". Iconic car chase
    down the streets of San Fransisco , even though the Dodge Charger
    looses like five hubcaps.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    What do you guys think of "The Pacific?" The lesser known little brother of Band of Brothers. I like them both and the best part of them is that my wife enjoys them and actually encourages my collecting. She likes seeing some of the real items she bought me for Christmas in the movies.
    The Pacific was outstanding and I actually prefered it to Band of Brothers

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

CBH
    ?

The problem is the more you know , the more holes you find in movie's . I read a review of "Cross of Iron" and they complained about Steinner using a PPSh , a soviet weapon . But it was a very common thing on the eastern front . And the other thing is Hollywood movie's will always make the Americans the smart guys who win at what ever they try . And replace any allied soldiers no matter where the battle with Americans . Pretty sure the enigma machine was captured by the Royal Navy not the US , its a revisionist history that makes it look like the US did it all alone . But movie's are meant to be an escape , so should be taken with a grain of salt , or a bag of salt in some cases .

Quote by CBH View Post
    The problem is the more you know , the more holes you find in movie's . I read a review of "Cross of Iron" and they complained about Steinner using a PPSh , a soviet weapon . But it was a very common thing on the eastern front . And the other thing is Hollywood movie's will always make the Americans the smart guys who win at what ever they try . And replace any allied soldiers no matter where the battle with Americans . Pretty sure the enigma machine was captured by the Royal Navy not the US , its a revisionist history that makes it look like the US did it all alone . But movie's are meant to be an escape , so should be taken with a grain of salt , or a bag of salt in some cases .
    I agree about taking films with a grain of salt, but if we didn't have a bloody good moan now and again we wouldn't be human!...

I actually watched this CCTV movie in China a couple of weeks ago. It's pathetic at best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast