Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

The film industry can't get it right.

Article about: by davesap250 If they make All quiet on the Western Front again I hope they do a proper job on it. I see Peter Jackson has put on hold the re-make of the Dambusters. Apparantly it has a \\$30,

Default Re: The film industry can't get it right.

Great thread Gunny.as already mentioned "movies are produced for one reason to "entertain" you there are no rules to say they have to be politically correct.we as history buffs and collectors alike judge these films because of our knowledge and so we become very critical of them.Many of my friends who have no interest in history or collecting historical items can sit and throughly enjoy a classic war movie,for me no films will ever draw me in more so than "schindlers list" and "downfall",Sean Penn was awesome in the "thin red line".when talking about over shadowing movies remember "Hamburger Hill"completely out done by "platoon"simply because of the all star cast.the true story of the 101ST AIRBORNE in the ASHU valley was by far the better Vietnam film,regards Dave.

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    True, searching out the faults of Hollywood for us leaves little room to avoid becoming quite captious . . . and such discussion could prove endless I think. Some of my favorites have many shortcomings . . . often I have to remind myself to make room for error, and allow myself the ability to enjoy the time I devote to watching them. Fortunate for me, it's not all that difficult to do . . .
    Those runes ans swastikas ain't reversed...the photos is reversed...look at the MP40's cocking handle!

[QUOTE=moaning minnie;758487]for me no films will ever draw me in more so than "schindlers list" [/QUOTE

Totally agree.
    I have always thought that "Schindlers list" should be required watching in school.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A few spring to mind.
    Band of brothers
    Saving Private Ryan
    Downfall
    Enemy at the gates
    The Beast (of war)
    SPR SHOULD mean: SHAVING Private Ryan. I cant stand that stupid film. Gimme The Longest Day and Breakthrough ( w/ John Agar, Brian David, Frank Lovejoy, William Campbell and Paul Picerni) .over it anytime any day.

Quote by kirederf7 View Post
    Anyone got a list of WWII films with good costumes and vehicles?
    There are some great threads about that over on the US MILITARIA COLLECTORS FORUM

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I actually watched this CCTV movie in China a couple of weeks ago. It's pathetic at best.
    I never thought anything about WWII could be more worse than: Battle For the Last Panzer but--the one you post above takes the cake and icing too.

If anyone here gets the: The Gallant Men DvD set--take a gander at the SS insignia on "SS" lids-they will be some of the-if not THE worst you will ever see. However, that series was excellent.

Also, anyone notice on most older War movies made by the Warner Brothers Studios-that most of the German breast eagles, shoulderboards, collar tabs and helmets are the ugly and wrong stuff used. It chokes me up every time I see those ugly tunic eagles.

Also, notice in some movies, Germans with MP-40s wear Rifle ammo pouches on their belts. :lol::lol::lol:

?

I thought "We Were Soldiers" was done very well.

"Black Hawk Down", was also very good.
    Regards,
    John

Quote by relicz View Post
    I thought "We Were Soldiers" was done very well.

"Black Hawk Down", was also very good.
    I thought both were great films too.

'We Were Soldiers' was first class !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast