Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Film - 'Iron Sky' I just cant wait !!

Article about: I want to watch the movie again, now I cant wait for the DVD to be released!

Default Re: Film - 'Iron Sky' I just cant wait !!

I finally got around to seeing "Iron Sky" yesterday. Its original, offbeat story premise and its great teaser trailers had raised high expectations in me, but, to be honest, I was a bit disappointed.

A lot of the humor is of a rather adolescent nature or just downright silly and most of its attempts at political satire are far too plump and clichéd to really work.

Still, while the movie did not meet its great potential, it is far from bad. For all its shortcomings, it has many good ideas and - especially considering its modest budget - it is visually striking. The special effects and production design are excellent!

PS: Speaking of visually striking - So is Julia Dietze in uniform.

Thank you for that review Andreas Your comments on the special effects and Ms Dietze will ensure I go and watch it !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

You're welcome, Nick!

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I find that there is another problem with the movie that spoilt it for me. (Well, partially spoilt; like I said, there is still much to be enjoyed here.)

That problem is the fact that the filmmakers simply tried to achieve too much.

This kind of story could have been approached in several different ways. It could have worked as a fairly straight sci-fi/action/invasion spectacle (like, say, Independence Day or War of the Worlds with space Nazis instead of space aliens)... or a completely far-out, over-the-top, nutty farce... or a vitriolic political satire along the lines of Doctor Strangelove.

Unfortunately, it tries all too hard to be all of the above... And so, we have a genre blend composed of satirical moments alternating with nutty comedy setpieces alternating with epic space battles and even some truly dramatic moments.

Now, I love intelligent satire, like to have a good laugh and enjoy a big old space battle as much as the next nerd.... But not necessarily in the same 1 1/2 hours at the movies, as these aspects don't really add up here.

So, instead of the rich, tasty cinematic stew the filmmakers intended it to be, Iron Sky turned out to be a salad composed of perfectly good ingredients that simply don't go together very well.

(Having said that, I'll still buy it when it comes out on DVD, just to re-watch the many good bits.)

Andreas, you should write for Empire magazine !

Thanks again

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I noticed the insignia first too...

?

If its any consolation, I think of U-96 every time I see your avatar! :-)

?

I am now a "RaumSturmer"!!!

I bought some "war Bonds" a while back....part of their campaign for a fan funded film back when it was just a few teaser trailers!!!

Heres my certificate and dog tag!!

I like their sense of humour!

These are gunna be worth "HEAPS" in a few years, trust me!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

They sure will!
    BTW do you want to buy a used LADA?

?

I had a mate who had a LADA!!! Tough little cars!!

I am silly though, I'm nearly 40, I was a real soldier for nearly 20 years, yet being a "Raumsturmer" excites me....might have to bring it up with my psych!!!

?

Sad thing is, it's probaly the closest I am ever going to get to owning an SS dog tag!!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast