Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finding the Fallen and something that really Pi**ed me off

Article about: In the past couple of years we have seen a few new TV series about digging up the past From WW1 and WW2. I think Finding the Fallen is the best known, however there was a series about diggin

?

Default Finding the Fallen and something that really Pi**ed me off

In the past couple of years we have seen a few new TV series about digging up the past From WW1 and WW2.
    I think Finding the Fallen is the best known, however there was a series about digging out dug outs ect as well as one by Dan Snow about WW2.
    On another forum that I am no longer a member of, a member from the UK had just watched an episode of one of these shows, went onto the forum and made some comments that really upset me.
    He went on and on about how many of these shows were about Canadians, and as the Canadians really NEVER did that much why should these shows waste time talking about us ( well I am Canadian)
    Well after I laid into him ( the reason I am no longer with that forum, by mutual agreement) I mentioned the fact that all of these 3 series were funded by the Canadian Gov, using the same Tax and Money credits we use here for making a TV series or a Movie, ( and as I work in the film industry I know a bit about how it works) as they were funded by the Canadian Gov, that means I helped pay for them, so I would like to see Canadian content, even if the film makers and the experts were British, Belgium or French.
    They did talk about Military Forces other than Canadians which is only fair...and it really bothered me that someone would strike out against us, of course I was not that pleasant when I was replying to the post there.

I think a very funny thing about being Canadian is that many in the UK ( including some people I know) think of us as "American" while many American Friends of mine call me and think of me as a "Limey" ( I bet they don't even know how the British got that name, and they do not understand why it does not offend me)

Anyway, this post does not condem anyone..nor am I insulting anyone, I guess it just goes to prove that fools can upset those with good motives, regardless of where they are from.

I don't know why I thought of this today as it happened sometime ago...just one of those things I guess!!!

BY the way, when ever I go to the US OR Europe, I take my own Fav Tea Bags!!!!!

Just My Thoughts
    Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Don't worry. If a military historian doesn't know about Canadians in WWI or WW II then that person is an idiot.

I'm guessing this person was one of those "hurr durr america won both world wars by themselves hurr durr" type people. You would expect everybody on a militaria forum to have a fairly good knowledge of WWII, but apparently that is not the case.

?

Canada was in WWII ?

?

just kidding

?

Quote by rh1941 View Post
    just kidding
    Just had to do it huh ?

?

Sorry couldn't help myself. One of my favorite war movies is The Devils Brigade.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Canada was in WWII ?
    And a bloody good job they did too, just as they did in the First World War. One of the great things about being a Commonwealth nation is that you feel a definite bond with other Commonwealth nations, I'm really glad that I can associate myself with Canada because of it. I also had family in the RAAF who served alongside blokes from the RCAF during WW2, we know how much the Canadians did - we were there too!

If the Canadians had Not been in WWI, the Western front would have had road signs in German...Both in Europe and the Home Front, Canada contributed much blood to the War. I guess people have even forgotten about the destruction of Halifax in 1917 from the War Effort...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Dean, which other forum did this occur on?

As a Brit I appreciate Canada's contribution in both world wars and in the Boer war.

As far as the TV shows go, He who pays the piper calls the tune seems apt in this case.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast