Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Forbidon silk stitching

Article about: I recently acquired this beautifully stitched Chinese or Japanese silk in what appears to be its original frame. I am interested in the meaning of it. If someone who knows anything regarding

?

I checked out some info on the origin of this stitch and found some interesting facts. Apparently this form if stitching appeared as early as the mid to late 19th century..

Other authors show a knot stitch with only a single loop around the needle. Pamela Claburn decribes this as "a stitch resembling french knots and often mistaken for them," but says that, "The chinese knot is flatter, more shapely and not so twisted. In Chinese embroideries it is seldom used as an isolated stitch but is generally massed together, often covering large areas."

Among actual Chinese embroideries, it is unusual to find the knots so widely spaced or scattered as in the drawing. The spacing is dependent upon the length of the connecting stitch on the under side of the fabric. Each knot is indeed separate, however, and this distinguishes the stitch most clearly from the Pekinese Stitch shown later on this page. The example below represents the kind of knot stitch most often found in extant late 19th century Han Chinese costumes-- looped once around the needle, fairly flat and closed, worked in rows that are combined to fill sizeable areas.

These images below resemble mine very closely.
    Dean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I found some similar examples that are the same size and are described as sleeve cuffs for imperial robes. I also noticed the same style butterflies and other insects and even bats are also on mine. Here are some images of said items that are dated to the 1890's..

?

Here's how similar the bat on the other sleeve examples look to mine.(mine is the top one)
    Last edited by Dean; 09-24-2013 at 12:15 AM.

?

Hi Dean , fantastic workmanship and a lot of hours to produce this nice embroidery ! Are you aware of the gourd shapes included in the tapestry ? Have a look at this link it may be of help

Ancient Chinese Gourd Charms
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I agree that it is Chinese. The colors are too flamboyant for Japanese art.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Allan, that's a great link. There's a lot of information I was wondering what the funny looking shapes were, and thought they may be a type of flower but I can now see they are obviously gourds. The Chinese really venerated them and had many different meanings and parables regarding them.
    Dean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2