Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Forever etched fear in our mind.

Article about: I found this one behind some furniture at a friend's house last year. Looks like a Black Widow but is in fact a False Widow but will still give you a bite if provoked. I have no idea where i

Default Re: Forever etched fear in our mind.

Quote by davejb View Post
    to this day my rectal muscles slacken when i see a spider larger than 1/2 inch
    Interesting, I tend to 'nip up' in the same situation.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I thought I heard some war stories in the past but this is pretty scary. Being shot at with a machine gun..or...a silent killer residing in your shoe,,,I would rather face the machine gun,, as my chances may be slim to none,,, but mouse and bird eating spiders????........I think Stephen King would think twice about making a movie about this.
    Sounds like a tense situation,,with unpredictable advancements from silent stalking soldiers.
    Common black and brown Tarantulas also have eaten birds. I saw it happen when I was a yonker many decades ago. Our house was across the street from Flato park and after it rained--hundreds or even thousands of the Tarantulas could be seen coming from their holes in the ground and would look like a moving black and or brown mass--as they ventured fourth all over the park. We used to sit across the street and shoot them with BB and Pellet Guns.

Anyway, after one particular rain-I went across the street to the park and went to a large Mesquite tree that I knew had a birds nest in--and one of the baby birds fell out of the tree and I was going to pick it up when a mean-looking black tarantula unveiled itself from the weeds growing around the tree and reared on its back legs like it was going to (and was) jump. The bird wasnt dead and this thing took it and started to dine. I felt bad for the bird and took a huge chunk of brick and killed the spider. I then did a stupid thing going back home bringing a ladder and went and got the nest and took it home and placed it into one of our trees. Luckily, the parent birds didnt seem to mind and the young were taken care of.

I found spider legs in the bath last night. I can only assume that my lovely tortie assistant was responsible for those LOL

Looking for member James C
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Still running I expect!

Quote by Studly View Post
    When I was in South Africa i woke up in my tent and found a huge Bird Eating Spider climbing up my blanket ....after shitting myself i grabbed my FN and smacked it one....to this day i still jump out of bed flick the light on looking for the Bastard .

Greg
    LOL I thought for a second you were going to say you shot it.

?

Well i have had another involuntary rectal episode, My poor old Golden Retriever, Gracie, suffered a stroke nearly two weeks ago and i had to sleep downstairs so i could look after her during the night. I was dozing on the sofa when i felt something on my head, i was half asleep when this nightmare crawled down my face and across my mouth and then fell onto the floor, what happened next , i can only describe as doing a James Bond in Dr NO, i grabbed my trainer and hit this thing half a dozen times, by the fifth stroke it had turned its toes up, and my heart was starting to beat more normally, when i looked ,i realised this "thing" was a huge garden or wolf spider, checking it was truly dead by another whack with the trainer i opened its legs out, it was 5 inches across, the biggest one ive seen , just thinking about it gives me the shivers

Thanks for sharing Dave..that was fantastic....Muh ha ha ha ha haaaaaa. Vincent Price would of been proud
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I know I've said this before, but I mean it so strongly
    that I think it bears repeating.--------

I HATE SPIDERS
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Again when I was living in Brisbane I was putting on a business shirt one morning before work and as I put the second arm into the sleeve and slipped the shirt on I thought...out of the corner of my eye and in a split instant...what appeared to be a pair of long, hairy legs extending out of the breast pocket. Now all this happened in an instant and the shirt was already on me with both arms through the sleeves and as the fabric settled down against me I thought I could feel a 'lump' against my chest.

Now I wasn't 100% sure of what I had briefly glimpsed and what I may or may not have been feeling in that split second but better safe than sorry I think so I began beating myself up by flailing fists into my chest area 4 or 5 times before tearing that shirt off ASAP. I bravely retreated to the kitchen and grabbed a broom then returned to prod and lift the shirt from a safe distance. Result was a safe and uninhabited shirt...as I began to relax and think myself silly and the pain of a bruised chest began to make itself known, a 'presence' made itself known in my peripheral vision and I looked up to see a bloody great big huntsman on the wall!

The bugger must have crawled into the shirt pocket in the closet and made a comfy home before my attempt to wear it to work as some sort of natty broach.

My chest hurt for 2 days more as a result of my beating too...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast