Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Forgotten Soldier. Guy Sajer.

Article about: by teeslad Can't fault your observation and knowledge Paul Hells Gate IS an excellent book (Though not easy to get hold of). If there's a better, more brilliantly researched and written book

Default The Forgotten Soldier. Guy Sajer.

Hi
    I read this book a few years ago and thought it was great reading. It is based on one man,s true story in combat on the Eastern Front. After reading I decided to check the internet to see what other people felt about it and was amazed to find out that the story he was telling was wrong and some dates and places he stated was,nt right. If any of you guys have read it let me know and tell me what you Think.

Thanks Martin

Default Re: The Forgotten Soldier. Guy Sajer.

Hi Martin, it is many many years since I read this book. I think I was at school

Enjoy it as a novel is my advice.

Cheers, Ade.

ILH
    ?

Hi Martin,

My copy's by Cassel Military Paperbacks who say it's true...... i'm no expert on the dates etc.

Take Ade's advice and you don't need to fret about accuracy (they could be honest mistakes). Either way it's a good book and I'm pretty sure he did serve there. At least he doesn't exagerate like Hassle and co

Try Hans Von Luck's 'Panzer Commander', if you haven't already.

found 'Through Hell For Hitler'- Henry Metelmann in a charity shop for a £ , but haven't read it yet.

Jim.

Hi again
    I.ve read those two books as well Jim and they are also great reading. As Ade says just take The Forgotten Soldier as a novel which is a pity because I really got lost in it and would like it to be true.

Thanks Martin

teeslad
    ?

Hi Martin. I read this book both in youth and adulthood. As mentioned before, if you intend to use it as a bible for a Grossdeutchland in the east then don't. Take Ades advice is the best advice I could give you.

Further excellent reading (in my opinion) is The Road To Stalingrad by Benno Zeiser. It was written in 1956 and was originally called In Their Shallow Graves (which is the copy I have). It's much shorter and seems to be written in a more 'authentic' hand.

Sajers book is still a good read though.
    Cheers

Steve

I've read it a couple of times and have had my doubts about its accuracy, but still a great read, as are 'through hell for hitler' and 'panzer commander'. One of my favorites is 'with Rommel in the desert', by Heinz Werner Schmitd.

VonBond

?

Have a look at this link: The Forgotten Soldier: Fact or Fiction?

This concludes that it is a factual memior but not a historical record, probably a fair assessment and certainly endorsed by Helmuth Spaeter.

i'd agree that it deserves more merit than just a novel.

Hi
    Thats,s an interesting link and as you say it,s a factual memoir sums it up .

Martin

?

Quote by teeslad View Post
    Hi Martin. I read this book both in youth and adulthood. As mentioned before, if you intend to use it as a bible for a Grossdeutchland in the east then don't. Take Ades advice is the best advice I could give you.

Further excellent reading (in my opinion) is The Road To Stalingrad by Benno Zeiser. It was written in 1956 and was originally called In Their Shallow Graves (which is the copy I have). It's much shorter and seems to be written in a more 'authentic' hand.

Sajers book is still a good read though.
    Cheers

Steve
    Nice avatar photo which is the front cover photo of Hells Gate the Battle of the Cherkassy pocket by Doug Nashanother highly recommended read
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

teeslad
    ?

Can't fault your observation and knowledge Paul

Hells Gate IS an excellent book (Though not easy to get hold of). If there's a better, more brilliantly researched and written book on on the Eastern Front i've yet to see it. It leaves you breathless.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast