Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Found in his Grandfathers closet!

Article about: Hey guys, Was on Redditt today and a lucky poster had found this in his Grandpa's closet! The poster says the find is a couple years old, but the gun is still sitting in the same spot as he

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: Found in his Grandfathers closet!

Hello,

If this weapon was not grandfathered in and registered as a fully automatic weapon in 1968 I do not believe that you can legally own it in the United States. All fully Automatic weapons must be registered. In some states you can own Automatic weapons but you must have a Federal Class 3 License. If you are hiding it in a wall or closet I don't really expect it to be legal or registered. My 2 cents. Each states have different gun laws but when it comes to fully auto weapons the Federal laws apply to registration.

Fred

Quote by Fred Green View Post
    Hello,

If this weapon was not grandfathered in and registered as a fully automatic weapon in 1968 I do not believe that you can legally own it in the United States. All fully Automatic weapons must be registered. In some states you can own Automatic weapons but you must have a Federal Class 3 License. If you are hiding it in a wall or closet I don't really expect it to be legal or registered. My 2 cents. Each states have different gun laws but when it comes to fully auto weapons the Federal laws apply to registration.

Fred
    Yea if functional it's only legal with the correct class license etc.

Or, what they don't know about...

Great find though! I always like reading about these finds.

?

Fred is correct about the NFA registration but it would have been 1986 that he would have had the LAST chance to register it.
    Is it worth a 10 year membership to Club Fed, killer fine and loss all of your rights to firearm ownership to have it?????

That would be awesome to find and smell and fondle it. Wipe the drool off your face , BUT then have to wonder WTF am I going to do now!!!!! The guy can't take it to a Gun shop. They would think its a ATF sting!!! WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO.

My buddy has a legally owned one he paid 6K for it years ago. The price has quadrupled since he bought it!!!
    The only problem besides parts is the metal hand guards .When you do a mag dump the guards get warm, do another one and they are hot, do a third and you will blister your palm and you have to hold the mag to shoot it any more. I guess that would have worked well for those COLD russian winters!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Lucky find. Congrats.

?

Here is some statements From the ATF site: (still not sure whats up)

"Since the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of May 19, 1986, ownership of newly manufactured machine guns has been prohibited to civilians. Machine guns which were manufactured prior to the Act's passage are regulated under the National Firearms Act, but those manufactured after the ban cannot ordinarily be sold to or owned by civilians.

from AWCA (antique weapons collectors association):
    The Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. This law prohibits the domestic manufacture of machine guns for civilian ownership. It did not make properly registered foreign- or U.S.-made guns illegal.Twenty-five states have no further restrictions on civilian ownership of machine guns (some require registration with the state) than what is required by federal law. Other states have either placed further restrictions or outlawed operable machine guns to civilians entirely"

Phil and Fred, I thought the same thing before I looked into it a little bit...after the guys find. But now Im not sure what is correct!? lol Too much "on the fence" info online everywhere. Either way, I'm with you.....it's not worth the time in prison or losing your firearm privileges over. If it is indeed illegal, im sure it could be transformed to semi-auto and still be an awesome piece of history. Interesting about the "overheating" issue with the gaurds....

?

It is a bit confusing and I think the alphabet Boys like it that way. Prior to 1986 I could send in a form 1 to the ATF asking if I could make a machine gun.I will use the semi auto Uzi as an example, After paying a $200 tax stamp and sending in 2 passport type photos along with a fingerprint card and a signed approval letter from the senior LEO in your area. You would be sent permission to proceed.(The Stamp) I could then modify my SA UZI to turn it into a FA Uzi. . It would then be a legally owned and registered Uzi. A lot of Mfg's and regular people did this and those are the registered receivers and registered FA sear's on the market today. After 1986 NOGO!! There are states that do not allow FA weapons along with silencers. There are as stated a lot of states that do allow them. If this weapon was not registered either as a working FA or even a DEWAT, It is NOT LEGAL to have in your possession. To turn an FA into a Semi Auto it has to be done from a kit that was already DEMILLED and then when you build it, It has to be built where it will no longer except the FA parts. It must be modified where the original bolt or FA parts won't fit in the receiver or fire control assy. It would have to be DEMILLED per ATF instruction(Receiver torch cut in 3 places and one of those is across the barrel trunnion) before you could do anything and then somewhere along the line somebody will know you were in possession of a unregistered FA weapon. As the boys across the pond would say. Its a sticky wicked situation to be in. I would ask on another weapons forum I belong to but I would rather not bring attention to anybody. Those Alphabet boys do like to cruise the web looking for such things....ouya nowka hatwa Ia eanma!!!!! It is a shame with that beautiful piece of history. It's just no fair!!!!! But they don't care!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

well its better than finding a skeleton in your closet thats for sure !!!

I'm a law abiding citizen. I've never been arrested or pulled over for anything in my life. But I got to admit, if I found this inside a wall at my house I would keep it, and wouldn't tell a soul.

?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast