Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Four days in Berlin.....

Article about: .....(and bearing in mind a certain female companion who, it has been mentioned, may not want to look at 'war stuff' for the entire visit ), what would be your top ten sights to see in order

?

Default Four days in Berlin.....

.....(and bearing in mind a certain female companion who, it has been mentioned, may not want to look at 'war stuff' for the entire visit ), what would be your top ten sights to see in order...........?
    Last edited by Adrian; 10-13-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Four days in Berlin.....

I cant think of a top 10 but these two are a must:

Gestapo Headquarters
    After Germany’s reunification in 1990, the government began destroying the Berlin wall. Today, the wall is left standing in three places as a memorial. One of these places is the former headquarters of the Gestapo.
    After reunification underground cells were found under a part of the death strip, or no-man’s land along the Berlin Wall. The headquarters was so destroyed in WWII that the Western powers didn’t know what the building had been.

The underground cells, the wall and the empty land of the former death strip are now part of a Topography of Terror exhibit, which highlights the escalation of Nazi persecution against Jews up until the final solution.

Located: Wilhemstrasse and Niederkirchnerstrasse in Berlin Mitte.

The Bunker of Hitler’s Suicide
    Near the heart of tourist Berlin, stand average apartments and an unassuming parking lot. Yet, about 10 meters below such a mundane surface is the location of Hitler’s bunker, where he and his wife, Eva Braun, committed suicide on April 30, 1945.

The bunker has since been collapsed and filled with water, so that it could not become a symbolic place for Neo-Nazis to congregate. There was not even a sign, until 2006 when Germany hosted the World Cup and thousands of tourists came to the city. The sign is simple, giving the dimensions and layout of the bunker.

Located: Gertrud-Kolmar-Strasse in Berlin Mitte.

When are you going Adrian?

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 10-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Adrian, I would try to see the old LAH Barracks, they are in the Lichterfelde section of the city on Finckensteinallee. After the war they were taken over by the US Army and known as Andrews Barracks, the German Governmect now use them as their National Archives. This is where most of the prisoners from the "night of the long knives" were taken and executed. I don't know if you can get inside today but its worth a try, if not you can see most from the street. Wolfspear gave you two others and the only other that I can think of are the Flak Towers, there were four of them, one is by the zoo on the Kudamm. I'm going to try to attach a pic of the barracks. Good luck and enjoy. John Sorry no luck on the pic, still trying to get used to this new format. I'll try again later.

Adrian, hope these come through. John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Adrian, a must see is the Museum at Karlshorst where the surrender to Soviet Forces was signed on May 9th 1945. Lots of intersting exhibits.

Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst

Cheers, Ade.

?

a real estate office at wannasee lake where final soloution was,, musseum with Egypt items are kept

?

Thanks for the comments Gents,
    All are noted and follow along the lines I was thinking. I also had it in mind to take a trip to Sachsenhausen which is only a short distance from Berlin, has anyone else been? Any tips regarding travelling there?

Nick,
    Going on Monday 29th November until the Friday.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian, I went there in 2000, was WELL worth the trip very solemn, be prepared to spend a few hours there if you go. It's very well kept and preserved. At first my wife didn't want to go but was happy she did, sometimes you just have to see for yourself. If I remember its about 40 min. outside Berlin. Wherever you go you'll enjoy yourself, Berlin's a great city. John
    Quote by AdrianC View Post
    Thanks for the comments Gents,
    All are noted and follow along the lines I was thinking. I also had it in mind to take a trip to Sachsenhausen which is only a short distance from Berlin, has anyone else been? Any tips regarding travelling there?

Nick,
    Going on Monday 29th November until the Friday.

Can only agree with Adrian, Karlshof is superb,

Forgot to mention well worth walking past the antique arcade near Friedrickstrasse Bahnhoff following the railway line to the area where the bars and cafes are situated. The walls along the top of which the railway runs are covered by shell, shrapnel and bullet damage. Incredible to see the damage whilst people drink and eat right in front of it. Just wonder what it must have been like there 65 years ago.

If you fancy a trip into the country, about 40 mins East is Seelow well worth the visit to see the museum vehicles and view the battlefield. I managed to pick a few nice items up just field walking beside the main road