Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The four rooms.

Article about: You stay on, Patrick. Guys your age are the future of this hobby, and it would indeed be a great shame to discourage such interest and enthusiasm. We are all still learning............

?

Default Re: The four rooms.

I thought i might learn something from the forum by joining. i saw the show ''four rooms''. shared my points and what i thought. please excuse the way i said ''good things about the war''. that was a mistake i regret. if i am to young, i will leave the forum, but i dont want that. no one is bullying me. Just sharing there views on what i said.
    I am sure if some of you guys started collecting young and lots of you did. and if you had a opportunity to join a forum where everyone collects and you can share what you have with others. instead of people at home where they say '' stop wasting your money ''.
    there should be age limits, i agree. but i broke the rules and everyone accepted me with open arms.
    i have no idea what to say, :/ you guys decide if i stay or go.

Patrick-
    We certainly want you to stay. You handle criticism very well. Learn and become a positive person in the colleting community. I started collecting at age eleven. At that time collecting was not the minefield of fakes that exist today. However, that is not to say that I did not and still can make mistakes. This Forum in my opinion is the best place on the net to learn.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Its refreshing and encouraging to see younsters with a passion for WW2 etc Many kids today have no idea which is sad!

History Is Me, you stay, enjoy and learn mate

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

NCA
    ?

Absolutely stay!I misread your comment that i quoted you on and i apologise for how i may i have come across..
    Touchy subject!
    Anyways, i also started collecting around 10 or 11.You never stop learning in my opinion and this forum is one of my favorites.

?

Hi

I would be upset to see you go ...

I was not very happy with the moderators comments that youth can not br used as an excuse for stupidity as I disagree some onecas yong as 12 dose not have the knowledge as as such understanding of older members there for you need to be understanding the comment was I'n no way malishiouce. I also beleve if a understanding can not be made for yong members then as moderators you need to set age limits however this would be a great shame to discourage future historians ...

?

Hi

I would be upset to see you go ...

I was not very happy with the moderators comments that youth can not br used as an excuse for stupidity as I disagree some onecas yong as 12 dose not have the knowledge as as such understanding of older members there for you need to be understanding the comment was I'n no way malishiouce. I also beleve if a understanding can not be made for yong members then as moderators you need to set age limits however this would be a great shame to discourage future historians ...

I dont want to go, so hopefully i will stay .
    i dont think I have as much knowledge as the older members. I learn from them.
    and non of the comments were malishiouce.
    Last edited by M18922; 05-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.

?

Good for you Patrick, Gents, I think that putting an age restriction on this type of forum could only do harm for collectors of younger years. True , being the age that Patrick is ,somethings may be out of his scope of understanding and perhaps he may not be able to convey his comments in a way that we as adults are used to, therefore it is up to us to ensure that the futility of war and all the horrors that it brings are conveyed to our younger members in a responsible and educational manner, after all this is a forum where its members learn from each other , we collect militaria so do younger people, i started at 7yrs of age and grew to learn about the war, the tragedy, the suffering and the sacrifices made, and so will Patrick and i daresay in future he will choose his comments with more grammatical meaning, youve only got to look at his avatar comments to see that he has an understanding already

H.I.M.,

At no time was I criticising you or wishing that you leave the forum,nor did I imply your comments were malicious, far from it. What I was suggesting was that members should bear in mind your age when giving forth on your comment as it appeared to me that your age had not been considered by some of them.

As I said in my post, i criticised a members point of view of a subject, and only then did he reveal he was only 16 and still learning. That brings things into a totally different perspective. How many times each week on this forum do members have differences of opinion, robust arguments and the like that they think is being conducted by two or more adults, without having a clue that the contested poster is of teenage or, as in your case, pre teenage years?? This can cause a lot of embarrasment believe me, but if one takes the forum rules as wrote, would not cross one's mind.

I have no problem with you being here, in fact I welcome it for all the positive myriad of reasons all ready given here by others. Furthermore, I realise my use of the word 'Bullying' was inappropriate and too strong in the context of what other members were querying your statement about, and I apologise to all of them. All I meant was ease up on the lad.

So that's that, or Damit Basta, as some may say, you take care H.I.M., this place is better for your being here, representing the younger collector and take this advice from the book of Ecclesiastes; "Rejoice oh young man in thy youth".

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 05-25-2011 at 11:00 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Guys the age limit restrictions on the forum have been discussed by the mod staff on a few occasions as we have had quite a few under 18 members join . Ned has rightly pointed out that the rules do insist on over 18 however the decision was taken that we would treat each case / member on their merits and if they appeared to be mature enough to engage sensibly with the adult members and appreciate the topics under discussion then they would be allowed to remain.

This seemed to be the right thing to do to allow younger people to learn about our hobby and the real history of the events that surround it. That said we will and have excluded a number of younger members who haven't been able to integrate or conduct themselves correctly.

I hope this clarifies the situation for everyone and it is good to see the response of the members to our younger guys, it is another reason why we are one of the best on the web,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

@paule e

You make a good point about teaching and not just chucking out teen members !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast