Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Free authentication and valuation service.

Article about: by DioMac Oh dear, I must admit that post by Esko Brandt gave me laugh purely for the irony! Just had a little giggle myself!....

?

Default Re: Free authentication and valuation service.

Let me make it perfectly clear that my comments are not directed at any individual in particular but at the group of forum users who consistently impinge upon the good nature of the membership to their own gain. They can be split into two groups.

Those who make absolutely no effort to learn or take on board any informative material passed on to them. They scour the internet and find items they want to buy, post decidedly poor images and then hope that others can do all the work for them, not bother to take any steps to find out for themselves but lean on everyone else and rely on the judgement of others on how to spend their money. They go quiet and don't contribute until they want the help of the members here again. They don't contribute to threads discussing other member's items and take the step of learning for themselves. They can't understand that by doing this they might actually learn something and be able to repay the help that has been shown to them.
    It's too easy to build an impressive collection without actually realising what their items mean or have any vague notion of the history behind them.

Then there are those who just want to make a quick buck after posting an item, getting an evaluation and then take it elsewhere where they hope to make money of the back of other people's help to them. No morals, no integrity.
    These members, again, don't bother to help out, contribute or interact in a positive manner, they are very often can't be bothered to offer a word of thanks or gratitude. I mean, why should they, they've got what they wanted and don't have to show any form of politeness or decency. This type of member is the sort I would encourage you to research prior to offering your help. Is there a trend of single posts asking for an opinion or value which is a regular pattern? If so why should you bother replying?

Both groups of members have the 'give me an answer now' types within. Those who don't realise that just because fifty people have viewed their post it doesn't mean that those fifty can answer their query so just be patient and wait for someone who does. Get over yourselves!

You should not confuse my comments here with those members who genuinely want to learn, new members who come here for help. You can tell who is a genuine collector and wants to learn, those who want to find out about items left to them or those who want to start out in the hobby. Every effort should be made to encourage those people and help them out.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

OK, I must admit I have been guilty once or twice about asking if anyone has seen a post. I did it to keep the post alive hoping certain folks saw it. I won't be doing that again and sorry if I rubbed anyone’s fur in the wrong direction. I have found the information and advice I have received invaluable and will try to help out whenever I can. As for values I usually have a fair idea what some things are worth but some are very hard like the broken Kreigsmarine dagger I received. Prices are all over the map on that one, I still have no idea of its value. I only ask the value so I know which items I need to secure more tightly than others. Room in the safe is at a premium. My experience is mostly U.S. and even there I am learning something new every day. I do appreciate the responses I get here and do plan on bugging all of you with more questions in the future.

Thank you

Burt

I am a new member and all the help and advice I have received has been brilliant, I'm genuinely grateful for all the help and hope to be able to contribute as my knowledge improves

?

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    OK, I must admit I have been guilty once or twice about asking if anyone has seen a post. I did it to keep the post alive hoping certain folks saw it. I won't be doing that again and sorry if I rubbed anyone’s fur in the wrong direction. I have found the information and advice I have received invaluable and will try to help out whenever I can. As for values I usually have a fair idea what some things are worth but some are very hard like the broken Kreigsmarine dagger I received. Prices are all over the map on that one, I still have no idea of its value. I only ask the value so I know which items I need to secure more tightly than others. Room in the safe is at a premium. My experience is mostly U.S. and even there I am learning something new every day. I do appreciate the responses I get here and do plan on bugging all of you with more questions in the future.

Thank you

Burt
    Burt, there is a world of difference between you and your contribution to the forum and those who use the membership here without giving anything back in return.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I think the problem you have (by 'you' I mean the administrators/moderators), is that there will always be a majority of members who are learners rather than teachers, and in an open forum like this, they are going to ask for advice. In reality the only way to stop the abuse of the knowledgable is to lay down a set of expectations or code of conduct. Maybe we have to decide what we want the forum to be? Perhaps we should have a 'no valuation' policy?

I personally can see no reason at all to EVER ask "what is it worth?", and although I do answer any threads where I have some knowledge, I would never answer that part of the question. The obvious reponse to that question is "why do you care?". On the other hand, "Is it real?" or "Should I pay this much for it?", is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask a forum full of experienced collectors.

I am a fairly new member too, but I have also been a collector for 30 years, back when there were no forums and knowledge was something you had to develop for yourself. My collection is worth nothing, because it isn't for sale, and I don't really care what it might sell for. I buy things because they interest me, and I enjoy researching them and trying to understand them, and the people they were associated with. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

Rob

I agree with what is being said here by the senior members and moderators. NO ONE here gets paid to evaulate or help others. they simply do it to help others. taking advantage of that, without giving back, is not good at all.

I've had several people help me to authenticate few badges and i'm very grateful for that. the authentication is important to me since i have little to no knowledge about these badges and i'm still learning how to identify fakes from reals. Unfortunately, since i'm new to this, i might not be able to help other much just yet.

Valuation is something completely different. once a piece is authenticated, there are so many places one can go to get an idea of the average value of these pieces.

Again, thanks all for their contributions.

I was collecting long before the Internet and when good books on militaria were scarce...The research is a fun part of the collecting experience, these guys don't know what they're missing out on... I enjoy sharing my knowledge or translating something as it expands my knowledge as well...and still learn something new every day, especially from all you fine folks...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 02-23-2013 at 08:44 PM.

?

Seems like this thread needs to be read again at the moment as we have a rash of those wanting this service !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I recently bought an item of the internet in which the seller stated "this has been reviewed by experts on WRF and deemed as original". When i received the item myself, it turned out it had been listed on another forum and wasn't real. People are quoting this website as a validation service even though often there is not evidence of the item ever being on here.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    And to top it all off, not even a word of thanks by return in many cases!
    This is the one that pisses me off the most! I can't tell you how many times I have gone that 'extra mile' to answer a question and then nothing! Biggest pet peeve of mine...drives me crazy!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast