lol what the hell is that arch made of?? im intrigued now

tom

?

Default Re: Funny: 1945 v 2011

Incredible.

Im guessing Granite or Marble Must have a massive foundation!!! haha

Impending apocalypse? I know where I'll be standing.

Mat

Call me Mr. Killjoy, but, errr, well, you know...:

Hoax - Nagasaki Arch Survives Both Atomic Bomb and Tsunami

The photographs themselves are genuine but, in fact, they do not depict the same "arch" or even the same city.

The type of structure referred to as an arch in the message is actually a 'torii' a traditional Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or sometimes inside a Shinto shrine.

The first photograph does depict a torii at Nagasaki after the atomic bomb was dropped on the city on August 9, 1945. The same photograph is included on numerous historical websites discussing the bombing. The photograph was taken by army staff photographer Yosuke Yamahata who began to record the devastation of the city on August 10, 1945, a day after the bomb was dropped.

However, the second photograph does not depict the torii at Nagasaki, but rather another torii leading to Kozuchi shrine at the town of Otsuchi, Iwate prefecture, Japan. Otsuchi was indeed devastated by the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011.

Nagasaki is located some 1300 kilometers away from Otsuchi. Nagasaki was not directly affected by March’s earthquake and tsunami.

The torri gates are indeed made of granite and marble in some cases, but also of copper, concrete and, very often Camphor wood. There are thousands of them around Japan, some dating back several hundred years.

Sorry to spoil the story, but them's the facts....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The photographs themselves are genuine but, in fact, they do not depict the same "arch" or even the same city.

The type of structure referred to as an arch in the message is actually a 'torii' a traditional Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or sometimes inside a Shinto shrine.

The first photograph does depict a torii at Nagasaki after the atomic bomb was dropped on the city on August 9, 1945. The same photograph is included on numerous historical websites discussing the bombing. The photograph was taken by army staff photographer Yosuke Yamahata who began to record the devastation of the city on August 10, 1945, a day after the bomb was dropped.

However, the second photograph does not depict the torii at Nagasaki, but rather another torii leading to Kozuchi shrine at the town of Otsuchi, Iwate prefecture, Japan. Otsuchi was indeed devastated by the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011.

Nagasaki is located some 1300 kilometers away from Otsuchi. Nagasaki was not directly affected by March’s earthquake and tsunami.

The torri gates are indeed made of granite and marble in some cases, but also of copper, concrete and, very often Camphor wood. There are thousands of them around Japan, some dating back several hundred years.

Sorry to spoil the story, but them's the facts....

Regards, Ned.
    How cool's that! You're the Man, Ned. Stewy

I did think they could be different gates... now I need a new plan for the apocalypse. Great.

Mat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast