Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gallipoli visit

Article about: Just booked to go to Turkey again this year and my Turkish friend is taking us to Gallipoli, I cant wait !! Any of you guys been before? Nick

Default Re: Gallipoli visit

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    We are envious of your beautiful country too Mo ! I would just love to visit the old battlefields such as 'Little Big Horn' etc.. and of course the Civil War fields !

Nick
    You're welcome to my corner anytime, guy! Unfortunately our battlefields aren't much more than just that- fields, but places like Gettysburg are fun to go to. You can reenact Pickett's Charge, minus the bullets.

Have a good trip to Gallipoli! Pick up a Gallipoli Star or two sometime soon.

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Gallipoli is a sacred place to Aussies......hoping to go there myself one day
    Apparantly most (ANZAC's) visit in March, the anniversary. I bet that is a good time to go, but I am not going until beginning of August. It will be hot but I have to do the beach thing also, for my wife. Thats my bargaining tool

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

G'day Nick, 25th of April is the big day mate, Ive never been but have a few mates that have and I've heard fantastic stories about the ANZAC day service. It is watched on telly here by thousands every ANZAC day. I hope you have a great trip mate!

4md
    ?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Just booked to go to Turkey again this year and my Turkish friend is taking us to Gallipoli, I cant wait !! Any of you guys been before?

Nick
    I havnt been but would love to go its very high on my list of places to see, my friends went and said it was excellent, they also said you can go snorkling and find allsorts in the water.
    They only did the tourist part as theyre not really into the history of it all.
    Hope you have a great trip and post up some photos if you get a chance

regards Paul

Seems to be great travel plans.
    Have fun Nick and take lots of photos.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Hi there !
    I went last September and it is a very atmospheric place and very rugged! Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that Gallipoli is all about the Anzacs ! Standing on the beach where the river Clyde landed is as eerie as it gets ,you don't appreciate how much of a slaughter house it was for the allied forces that landed on the various beaches on the Gallipoli peninsula until you actually go there . And when you see how close the trenches were at the nek where the Australian light horse were slaughtered it amazes you ! I will try to post some photos if I get chance !

Thanks for that Jayh I cant wait to see your pics

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2