Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

Article about: You have to put yourself in the shoes of a German soldier. Would you do it? I suppose if it was practical, it was done. I have seen enough random junk on German soldiers in photos to make me

?

Default German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

I have noticed, and I have done it myself, a lot of German helmets in collections with the chinstrap pulled over the lip of the helmet....I have stopped doing this because I have never seen a period photo of German soldiers doing this, it seems to be prevalent with American helmets, the chinstrap of the M1 liner always seems to be in this position, bu never on german.

To me it overstretches an original chinstrap causing more damage....I tend to now tuck the chinstrap in the liner loose, and now I have my helmet stands I just let them dangle free...

Any thoughts???

Default Re: German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

German soldiers never wore their chinstraps in this fashion. In my opinion, as you say, it only stretches them out and ultimately damages them. You're talking about 70 year old leather.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

"To me it overstretches an original chinstrap causing more damage"
    Same here mate
    I never stretch any old leather pieces for fear of tearing,especially thin chin straps.
    Just my view.
    Have a good one.

One or two seemed to do it. This SS chap for example. I agree though, it can only be bad for the leather, so unless it has been like that for a while already and settled into the shape I wouldn't do it.

It still happens! I'm amazed-there Was a German who wore his strap like that! I'm thinking, though, that he simply placed it like that because he was wearing a layer of scarf to protect him from the cold weather. One wonders what kept it in place-you would think it would flop from his head at the smallest gesture! Cool photo!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Well there you go, one of the most famous Ardennes photos and there it is bold as brass, photo proof!!!!! Bugger me!!!
    However i still think it is a very American thing to do, but if you found a helmet like that I probaly wouldn't touch, but I reckon you'd have to treat the leather....other thsn that I will let my chinstraps swing in the breeze

I agree not to do it, here's another shot in action.
    You can place it there if it is still pliable but for short term display only
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-04-2012 at 04:24 AM.

That guy in your picture looks like a real arsehole Rene

?

I obviously didn't look hard enough, cheers Rene...

So I think we can agree that it was done, maybe not a widespread thing but going by the above photos German soldiers did do it!!! I suppose if you are restoring a shell using repro liner and chin strap, it would be technically " correct" to do it.....however as somone mentioned you wouldn't want to go into action doing it....

Love this forum

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    That guy in your picture looks like a real arsehole Rene
    He probaly just got a beasting from his section commander for having his chinstrap like that!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast