Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

Article about: You have to put yourself in the shoes of a German soldier. Would you do it? I suppose if it was practical, it was done. I have seen enough random junk on German soldiers in photos to make me

Default Re: German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

You have to put yourself in the shoes of a German soldier. Would you do it? I suppose if it was practical, it was done. I have seen enough random junk on German soldiers in photos to make me think that nothing was/is impossible!

Regarding chinstraps, I seem to come across a lot of guys who wore them just under their lip, kind of like how State Troopers and Highway Patrolmen do.

I'm not sure exactly how much it would stretch out a chinstrap if it was loosely rested on the visor, but I do agree that it looks better when a helmet is displayed raised with the chinstrap dangling and affixed.

Great question though!

?

There's regulations, then there's the way it's done in the real world......for instance in the Australian Army we got issued two slouch hat, grade 1 for parades, side turned up, or down, and the brim was supposed to be dead flat, grade 2 was everyday use, and again they were supposed to have a dead flat brim.....however most of us put a droop in the brim, looks better and more characteristic of the slouch hats you see in wartime photos.....we used to alway cop it from the PLSGT that our brims weren't straight, but we always got away with it

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    That guy in your picture looks like a real arsehole Rene
    I wouldn't call him an arsehole.Is that a medic pouch on that mans belt?
    Hey arsehole I'm hit.Hehehehe

Quote by thanatos View Post
    I wouldn't call him an arsehole. Is that a medic pouch on that mans belt?:d - Hey arsehole i'm hit. Hehehehe
    Lol - That is funny.........!

Speaking of which, I 'leave them hanging' too. The leather seems
    to have a memory, and after a while they stiffen up, retaining
    the bent shape of being on the peak.

However, I do have a rusted relic with a crappy repro chinstrap
    on it that is stuck up over the rim.........!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-04-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added additional text and photo.........
    Regards,

Steve.

4md
    ?

I always put the chinstrap over the visor as it displays better. As long as you dont tighten it so there is a huge amount of force i dont see a problem.
    Iv seen plenty of photos of soldiers wearing it this way
    A few interesting points from ludwig baers book

1. page 30- from a german pamphlet in 1916- the chinstrap can be worn over the visor when not drawn under the chin
    2. pg 120- the buckle is normally worn on the left hand side of the face except by left handed shooters
    3. pg 122- you are warned about against allowing the helmet to hang for a long period from its chinstrap since this warps the metal liner band
    and loosens the rivets

Quote by 4md View Post
    I always put the chinstrap over the visor as it displays better. As long as you dont tighten it so there is a huge amount of force i dont see a problem.

1. page 30- from a german pamphlet in 1916- the chinstrap can be worn over the visor when not drawn under the chin
    2. pg 120- the buckle is normally worn on the left hand side of the face except by left handed shooters
    3. pg 122- you are warned about against allowing the helmet to hang for a long period from its chinstrap since this warps the metal liner band
    and loosens the rivets
    Great points there. Very interesting..

I think it was an occurrence that was somewhat commonplace. I've seen numerous images of this and don't see why it wouldn't have been done..

I display my helmets with the strap hanging down!

?

Great references, clears up a lot for me !!!!

That also answers the other question I posted about chinstrap buckle being on the opposite side
    Last edited by AMTG; 03-04-2012 at 07:25 AM.

4md
    ?

they do look good on a helmet stand with the chinstrap underneath............maybe i could be swayed, im the only one so far who likes them on the visor

?

Quote by 4md View Post

and loosens the rivets
    I agree, as long as the leather isnt being 'stressed' in any way. It just looks better as a display,IMO.

I typically don't place it over the lid unless the chinstrap already has taken that shape, as did the strap I used to restore the M35 pictured below. That strap was already molded in that fashion and fit very well that way with plenty of slack, so I used it in that position. If I have a helmet with an original chinstrap that has not taken the shape of being fitted over the visor, than I will leave it hanging, as I did with the M40 DD Police, also shown below. Just use common sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast