Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The German point of view?

Article about: Hi, I'm wondering, apart from stalingrad, are there any dvd's from the german perspective of ww2? I've seen Stalingrad and cross of iron but unless I'm mistaken thats it? Thanks for your hel

Default The German point of view?

Hi, I'm wondering, apart from stalingrad, are there any dvd's from the german perspective of ww2?

I've seen Stalingrad and cross of iron but unless I'm mistaken thats it? Thanks for your help
    Ryan

Default Re: The German point of view?

Hi Ryan, Das Boot is another must see.

Cheers, Ade.

You have to see Die Brucke ! THe Bridge !
    Its such a fantastic piece of film art ,made in the late 50s . Its about a group of 16 yearold school boys who get caught up in the Army during the wars final phase . they get sent on a worthless (unkown to them ) task to defend there own village bridge against the US Army . (Its interesting that the request to hire an original sherman was declined by US army of occupation !!) the americans withdraw in this film . The lads are untrained so fight like in a game , but the Lad with panzerfaust does well !
    i wont drone on , but this film got a UN award and recognition in the Soviet Union . Its the first great post war german film and deserves to be better known . Much better than Stalingrad (Das Boot on ice!) The director was Bernhard Wicki.
    My advice is get this on Amazon for £8 . its the most worthy of films .... and relatively unknown .
    Attached Images Attached Images

mjw
    ?

My recommendation:
    DOWNFALL
    Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Cheers Rob! Forgot to say I've seen Das Boot and downfall lol but thanks anyway fella's

I was an extra in downfall ! mollo came out to help with the uniforms and so military scenes were shot in St Petersburg . originally re enactors were going to take part , but the feeling was ..... They would start nicking the kit !!!!( original greatcoats and even schirmutzes used )
    Well they paid a Russian General to let his boys have a day off dressed up as German Soldiers . so it was quite a laugh . some crowd underground shots were in a Champagne factory (empty )
    Then a derilict glue factory was used for the troops surrender to the Red Army . They cut my bit out I was a surrendering luftwaffe officer !

?

Let's not forget "The Misfit Brigade", kinda like "Kelly's Heroes" from the German side...

Mike

I would add 'Operation Valkyrie' 2004-original German TV made version of Hollywood 'Valkyrie' 2008. 'Night of the Generals' 1967-stars Omar Sheriff as a German officer-bizarre casting!

not on dvd- but the book `legion of the damned` by sven hassel is the true story of his time in a penal regiment on the eastern front - well worth a read imo

?

Quote by oddball View Post
    not on dvd- but the book `legion of the damned` by sven hassel is the true story of his time in a penal regiment on the eastern front - well worth a read imo
    The movie "The Misfit Brigade" is based on a Sven Hassel book.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast